1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial And Residential?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nr46544, Sep 22, 2005.

1. :) Okay, I currently run a lawn care and landscaping business during spring,summer,fall. But in the winter I have been removing snow for companys,stores,etc. However this winter I am thinking about buying a second truck to offer residential snow removal in the wealthier neighborhoods. Does anyone offer commercial AND residential snow removal? If so is the residential part of your business profitable?

2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

We do both. The residential can be more profitable, but more of a pain. All how you look at it. Commercial can be a pain also. Let's say you do 20 residentials at $30 each. More if you shovel walks, or it is larger, but use $30 for round numbers. That is $600 for a 2-4" snow. If these are close, you can knock them out in 3 1/2 hours and that is taking your time and doing it right if they are within 2-3 minutes of each other. That is nearly $200 per hour. I know I cannot command $200/hr in our area. Here is the downside. That is 20 people to keep happy. 20 small areas to work in, find places to push snow, grass edges and landscaping to watch out for, etc. Even if you take 4 hours and they are a little farther apart it is still like $150/hr but you have the headaches of residential customers. Our no-pays tend to be residentials. They are known for claiming it didn't snow enough, or that you were there 2 times when you may have been there 4 times. Something else to think about is your driver: Is he/she particular? If you have diff drivers, do they all know the route and most efficient way to plow it? Just something to think about. We use 2 guys for residentials, and split them up in case something happens they both know the route. Good luck!

Bottom line is this: Just like everything else, they can be very profitable, but they can be a pain.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I do both, and yes the houses bring in some good money as well.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We also do both, but... I let all of my residentials know that they are going to be done DEAD LAST! I also work a 7-3 job Mon-Fri. so its very tuff for me and a lot of luck! (that it doesn't snow between 7-3). My commercials,well I have a few friends that are able to plow during the day so if need be, I call them. And they are all insured BTW. And I HATE doing this but I usually dump a sh!t load of salt in the lots after the last plow. So far so good,well just plain LUCKY!
  5. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I do both as well, Typically the commercial stuff gets done at night and the residential can be done during the day, but you leave yourself open for complaints doing it this way because most people want to leave for work down a clean driveway so they can drive down a street that hasn't been plowed yet.