1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Comments on my postcard

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jg244888, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

Just working on my postcard and looking for some opinions

SNOW POSTCARD_2009_1.jpg
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not bad. Insured? What do I get for 99.00 dollars?
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Looks good. Ya, what does $99 get you? As far as insurance....I never had it when I shoveled and only used a blower. I don't think a 16 year old could get it anyway.
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

It all depends on what part of the city you're looking in....:D
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Come on.........$99.00 is too cheap for a seasonal on ANY driveway.

What's the matter with you?!?

At least put a 1 in front of that number for Gods sake. :cry:
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

maintenance is spelled with an "E" after the "T"

Dependable and Reliable are saying the same thing, and by conscientious I assume you are stating you won't blow snow at the picture window or blast it down the side of the car:D

I also assume you will use a background picture you have rights too (I see the copyrighting in the center)

is winter property maintenance your biz name or is that just a tag line of sorts?

maybe emphasize that your the better choice over a plow truck because you can scrape the driveway clean with your rubber paddled snow thrower and place the snow where the plow can't and you won't wreck the lawn. also charge more for this not less, remember a plow truck will have the drive done in 3 minutes, you're going to be on site 20.

be careful with the salt, once you are in charge of applying it, its your liability. skip it until you run a business with general liability insurance.
  7. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

cant get insurance at 16 but only using a blower and shovels. havent figureed out mypricing yet so just put that in to fill the spot till i decide.
  8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Maybe it's a teaser... seasonal for $99 (walks only!) That would be clever for a 16 year old.

But seriously... don't sell yourself short, kid. I'm not sure about Toronto snow totals, but around here you'd be doing drives for an average of $7 each and it would take you doing about 4 drives all winter just to pay for a snowblower. Remember, one dog chain or frozen newspaper and that auger is toast.
  9. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

i will be purchasing the pic from istockphoto.com good point on the salt
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

actually the ccr2450 is tougher than you might think. on a particularly bad night at one of my commercial lots, it was 4* blowing snow and I sucked up a chain attached the the garbage bin and then after unwinding that I proceeded to blow newspaper that some lazy employee dropped in front of instead of in the recycle bins:angry:

not that i recommend either thing to do, but mine survived. they do however suffer from clogged and frozen carbs do to light fluffy snow blowing into it while sitting in the back of the pickup truck.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

How about a picture of a nicely cleared driveway, as opposed to a snow covered one with a two track?

Sorry, didn't notice you were only 16.....my bad.

Good luck to you son.
  12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

How' bout "Prices starting at $350 (walkways included?) & up. Most houses you'd probly get close to that...mabe some larger drives for $385? Good Luck.
  13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Grn Mtn - Your all over this s**t!! The stuff you pointed out I didn't even notice, LOL.

My advice, "Gordon-Johnson-Jr.", is to charge per time you blow/shovel. NO SEASONAL.
    Also charge more for heavier snow fall - say at 4" then 8" and so on.

I'm with you on the "24", the others can bite me!
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't listen to him.....stay with the seasonal. Don't get yourself into a billing nightmare with per push residentials, and all the complaining "I'm not paying you on this one, there wasn't enough snow". Get 1/2 of the season paid up front, then the other half on Jan 1.

You could give a slight discount for those who pay the entire season up front.
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Prices should definately be higher and I agree with the rest.....Skip Salt this year unless a customers specifficaly asks you about it.
  16. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

thanks guys for the help will post a revised copy soon!!
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's just like you, steering a Maple Leaf fan (more than likely) in the wrong direction. :D
    Kid will probably do 5-8 drives all season, how's that a billing nightmare? Just say you go out at 1" unless they want it done no matter the amount. No arguments that way.
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You are not going to get per push in Toronto.
    A 20x50 drive witht he front walk goes for close to $500.
    They tend to pay more because a lot of guys use blowers and not truck because there is no where to put the snow and people park on the road.

Skip the salt, how are you going to carry it.
  19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

LOL. The Maple Leafs haven't been a real threat of late ~ you on the other hand..........:gunsfiring:

Let's hope he has 2-3x that amount to do. Nightmare was too strong a word, unnecessary would have been a better choice.

Residentials are normally a 2" depth before service. Look for the 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" accumulations to make your move. When you service your customers at that point (when others skip their's) they will take notice. You will breeze through them and your good reputation will separate you from your competitors....that's your goal. You may even pick a few extra ones up that chose the per push route because they felt neglected.
  20. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Toronto moved away from per push so long ago, hard to even remember those days.

Sounds about right from people we talk to that do drives. Lowest I have heard is at 400 a season all the way up to 800. Guessing just depends on size.

Just try not to be that lowballing kid, that no one likes. Phone around the yellow pages, and just give them a driveway size and see what others would be charging to get a rough idea.