1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

comm plates

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KGRlandscapeing, Dec 18, 2007.

1. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

My truck is both my daily and my landscaping and plowing truck i have comm insurance but were now transfering the title from my dads name to mine. i just turnd 18 in september should of done it then but owell. so my question is do i need comm plates on the truck

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ehh, Im not 100% sure on that. My truck is my daily runner and the work truck too and lettered, so I have commercial plates. Then again I always have had comm. plates. But Im pretty sure if you are using he truck for business purposes, you should have them.

3. a100rinchhead

a100rinchhead Junior Member

It depends on the state you live in check with your local DMV/BMV I live in OH and here it depends on the vehicle you’re using. Last year I had a Jeep Wrangler and I didn’t have to have Com plates but I needed com insurance this year I have a Dodge W150 and I have to have Com plates and insurance the difference is the jeep was a passenger vehicle and the W150 is a truck. However this varies from state to state WV requires com plates on any vehicle used for plowing so call your license burrow and ask them a phone call is a lot cheaper then a ticket.

4. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

ohio if you wanna letter your truck, yes even magnets count, you need to have comm tags, if not your facing some pretty heavy fines sometimes

5. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, I was required by my comm insurance co. to register my truck with comm. plates, which I did at the end of November. While at the RMV, the lady asked if I'd like to re-new for the upcoming year, because my brand-new registration runs out Dec.31st. Comm reg renewal would be $161 per year, whereas my regular car reg is $45 every two years.
    Along a similar line, the sign company that made my lettering told me that magnetic signage is no longer allowed in Mass., and the company name needs to be 3" tall, and must have a physical address (2" tall) and phone number or web address (2" tall).
    So once you decide to get the comm plates, it might start a domino effect. Be prepared.
    Chris in Boston

6. KGRlandscapeing

thanks guys and so to get comm plates do i have to get my truck weighd or do they just go by the stickers in the door or what.

7. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

At my registry, I got to fill in whatever weight I wanted to, within reason. The door sticker says 9800 GVW, but they charge by weight, I think, so I rounded it down to 9000. Probably won't be a problem unless I'm pulled over, but the truck almost never hauls a load or pulls a trailer.
    Short answer is that they are looking for the maximum weight of the truck, plus load, not the physical weight of the truck itself.
    Chris in Boston

8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

i was told as long as i am making money with the truck i needed commercial plates.

9. KGRlandscapeing

well right now my truck is losing me money but ill just get them ya know that 100 bucks for a year is alot better then getting stopd.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Depending on your soc. security number, birthday and last name, you prolly will get them from december december, like mine are. Speaking of which, I gotta renew mine. Thanks for reminding me!!!:waving:

11. KGRlandscapeing

what r friends for gotta remind u when u have to pay for something. one more thing ill have to worry about next winter o boy

12. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

So in ohio they are $100 a year? Do you know this for sure? I'm lookin at a truck and if i am to get it i would want to put them on right away because i didn't have them this year.

13. KGRlandscapeing

i think i lookd for about the weight of my truck and i think it was 96 or something like that. once i get them ill let u know. if not ask tom hes gotta go renew his

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Mine are 140 bucks for the 3/4 ton I listed it as a one ton so I dont get e-check

15. KGRlandscapeing

haha nice they dont charge for them anymore and after 96 its just a plug and play thing

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I know that, but I am a bad boy and do some "mods"no cats will make you not pass

17. KGRlandscapeing

ur just to cheap to fix that manifold leak and O2 sensor

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No, just dont have time to tear into it and drill out the old exhaust studs. Plus I am going to put shorty headers on instead.

19. a100rinchhead

a100rinchhead Junior Member

Ohio it gose by GVW my W150 is only $90 per year for comm but the box truck the Co I work for has is $185 per year it all depends on the GVW and the county you live in.

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If your truck is lettered in any way then you need to have commercial plates in ohio. If it is not then you can have normal plates and you will be fine. That is what my old boss told me.