1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coming over to your side!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jadyejr, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Just got a 2000 F-250 XLT Supercab 7.3!!! Pretty excited!! Been wanting one for a few months now and I finally picked one up....

I hear this year was the best to get for the 7.3, but my truck has 181k miles.. It's a southern truck so no rust at all.. What do I need to look out for before winter? What should I do to make sure everything is good?

The truck has never been plowed with, just towed a horse trailer every now and than. Has new alternator, and water pump.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Do you have the records from service done to it? When I buy a new to me car or truck I always make sure it's up to date on service. If there are no records I at least change the tranny filter and fluid, the axle's grease and fuel filters if they look old. This way I know they have been changed / serviced. Might even consider rotating the tires and look at the brakes while your at it. Even if you can't afford a full brake job you know where they are at. You can throw a cheap set of pads on till you can afford a full replacement.
  3. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Make sure the tranny shifts well and the oil pan isnt bubbling/rotting
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We are talking Ford not Dodge!
  5. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

I know, and the 4R100 mated to the 7.3 was never the strongest tranny built, and pulling the motor to replace the oil pan isnt the cheapest/easiest thing to do
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Been there, done that. Still walking kinda funny. :drinkup:
  7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Your right since we are talking Ford Check that junk tranny EO4d and of course the rotting oil pan and fenders. These trucks are as not as great as the Ford owners think they are
  8. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

2000 is gonna have a 4R100, not an E4OD, oil pans do rot, especially is no preventative if done by the owner. Fenders mostly rot on OBS (pre-98) trucks. OP is talking a 2000. Theyre still pretty solid trucks, a lot of guys swear by the 7.3 PSD's.

I think you'll have good luck with the truck as long as its been taken care of and you continue to do the same.
  9. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

yeah its a southern truck, no rust whatsoever. im thinking the weak spot will be the trans. according to the diesel sites, the 2000 is the best year for the 7.3, something about the rods being the strongest... i figure if i get the undercarriage sprayed, or line-x'ed, and take it easy with the forward and back on the transmission, ill be ok!

I love the looks, and the short bed is nice! i'll post pics soon.
  10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

number 1. its e40d
    number 2. e40d is pre 99. like 97 and below 99 and up 4r100.
    number 3. dodge is king of rust and trans issues
    number 4. chrysler is bankrupt!!! ford isnt!!!
    number 5 your an idiot leave and go back to your dodge forum

anyways. to the OP ...02 and 03 was the best year of the 7.3's. ford-trucks.com brother..bleed blue!
  11. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Although I'm happy for your new purchase, I must tell you that try not to get to many contracts. Reason being is, you have close to 200xxx miles. God forbid you get jammed up and your truck fails, your are going to have pissed off clients AND you may be liable for any slip and falls.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but hope you plan ahead.
    Good luck :waving:
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have much experiance with FORD PS Diesels? At 181K it's good and broke in. If it's had it's regular oil changes done on time it should go 400K or more. The transmission has been rebuilt probably at least 3 times now. Being a truck from the south it should have no oil pan rust or much rust anywhere. It's just a matter of replacing parts to keep it on the job when you have no rust out's. If he can wrench, he can keep it in service for along time.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed in one of those (for someone else) for two winters. OK truck, plenty of power. Didn't much care for the seat. It was an XLT.
  14. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

I'm probably going to change the interior out, and put either king ranch or harley seats in it from a newer truck. Also going to do some work with the front end and update that. I'm not worried to much about the engine, just the tranny more than anything, I think that if i do rebuild I will get the heavy duty one so I don't have to worry about it.

From what I understand the 2000 has the best 7.3 engine available. I see these trucks all the time with 300 - 400k miles.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not a Ford guy myself, but everyone seems to love the 7.3 Good luck with it, and take care of that oil pan. I think POR15 makes a product just for pans, I'm not sure. The one I drove would leak tranny fluid out the front main seal (that's what it looked like, anyway) when doing a lot of back and forth work. Apparently that's a common problem, keep fluid in the truck.