1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coming out of 4wd

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by leepotter, Dec 18, 2011.

1. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

96 Ram 2500. 360

No weird noises. Shift into 4 Hi and after awhile the lever goes back to 2 Hi. motor and trans mounts good. Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Does the lever feel stiff or loose?? Could be a simple lube required or the t case is on the way out. Make sure the mechanism is putting the gear in place 100%

3. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Is there anything up top under the shifter boot that holds the lever in place?

4. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Sounds like a possible vacuum problem.... There's a valve on the top of the transfer case that could be bad, check for rotten vacuum lines as well.... Had the same problem with my '95 2500, just got done tracing the lines and problems and done the necessary repairstymusic

5. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I had same issue with my 94. Its was the little plastic linkage grommets. Issue was the vibrations would let it slip out.

6. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Crawled under it today and looked at the linkage grommets and they are all fine. Its just weird cause 4wd will work GREAT then it'll just go back to 2wd no noise what so ever.

7. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

That's what my '95 did as well..... Check all your vacuum lines.... It's more a time thing, especially if you can do it yourself.... They break down over time, very inexpensive to replace!

8. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

But would a vacuum line cause the whole case to come out off 4wd. I thought it would just not in gauge front axle.

9. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

What condition is the shifter in? Un hook it. and move the shifter linkage. If its real loose thats you issue.

10. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

You loose your vacuum, the transfer case disengages.... That's the way mine works anyways.... the axles always disengage after my transfer case does.....