1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coming down the final stretch before Winter,...

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, here we sit on the downhill side of September,.... with just a short time left before things could change almost overnight,.... (2 years ago, I started plowing in 11 days from today!!),... altho freeze-up is still at least a month off under normal conditions. We've had at least a week & a half of cloud-free days, which have been just beautiful around here. Our peak fall colors are behind us now by at least a week or two,... with many trees completely bare already,... and even tho I didn't take as many pictures of the changing colors as I would have liked, I did take a few. It freezes pretty hard every night,... with ice on everything in the mornings,... I think 22° F (approx -12° C) is the coldest I've seen to this point so far,... many of the birds have already left for the warmer south lands,... and I saw a rabbit yesterday that has white feet already as well. Anyways,.... here's a few snaps of what it looked like around here in the past week or two,... :waving:

fall 1.jpg

fall 4.jpg

fall 5.jpg

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This is what you'd see driving the highway around here lately,....

fall 7.jpg

fall 10.jpg

fall 9.jpg

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

More along the road,... (they seem a little fuzzy looking thru the windshield,... :dizzy:)

fall 6.jpg

fall 12.jpg

fall 8.jpg

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Getting off the roads is great too,.. when the weather is like this,.... prsport

ff 2.jpg

ff 7.jpg

ff 9.jpg

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Of course,.... this is the time of year when you gotta get your groceries in the freezer too,... (brother with his moose from a couple days ago)

Scott's moose 2010.jpg

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Not too much snow right now below about the 8,000 foot level, or so, of the mountains, but that will soon change,.... :nod:

fff 1.jpg

fff 10.jpg

fff 11.jpg

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

About the only place you'll find any fresh snow lower than that right now, is around a glacier,... where the whole valley is full of ice,.. which will drop the air temps down more than other places,... and bring the snow line farther down the mountains,...

fff 2.jpg

fff 4.jpg

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But the upper halves of the tallest mountains around here are already locked into winter-time,...

mnt 3.jpg

mnt 7.jpg

mnt 1.jpg

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So,.. that's about it for now,.... if you don't start getting pumped when you see the seasons change,... then maybe you're in the wrong business,.... :drinkup::waving::salute:

mnt 4.jpg

mnt 2.jpg

mnt 10.jpg

mnt 5.jpg

10. TheBossMan2000

TheBossMan2000 Junior Member

wow...amazing pictures. I cant wait until those colors hit peak around here. just started changing. Winter is definitely coming fast...Awesome moose too.

11. risin187

risin187 Member

amazing

The photos you take are amazing! I can't wait for the white stuff here, I wished it snowed in september. payup

12. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

I love the pic's what a nice place to live. How much snow do you get up there every year.

13. gkm

gkm Senior Member

as always great pics makes me want to visit your great state more and more!ussmileyflag

14. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

nice hunting season in mass. doesnt start till oct. 18 but congrates looks like a great moose

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

looking good! when i was headed to fairbanks and back laborday weekend i saw lots of great fall colors. i've wanted to head over your way for along time as i've never been but maybe next year.

right now im just waiting for PFDs so i can get some new snow tires on the new daily drivers...hope it snow doesnt come for awhile down here lol

16. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Its just not fair btw how do you guys like the no tax deal up there that ive heard about

17. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

talking about sales tax? ifso it depends where you go. some citys have it some dont. i've been born and raised with no sales tax so when i go somewhere that has it i'm like WTF lol

18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

once again great pictures,when you thinking you will have your first plowable event?And what kind of gun do you use to killa moose?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  19. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

im interested in what kinda gun also haha great pics wish i could pack up and move alaska is my kinda place

20. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

First plowable snowfall is usually in the 2nd half of October,.... we may get 6", 8" 10" or more before that,... but until the ground is froze up solid & people have packed down a little bit of a base, I hate to dig up dirt & gravel from people's yards & driveways.

Probably the most common cartridge for moose is the 'ole 30-06,... since it's a good compromise for moose, caribou, black bears, etc. But I have friends who use 7mm's, .270's, etc for moose, which is fine if the shot is well-placed, but others use 300 mags, and even .338's, just to make sure it goes down the first time,... and right away,... many times moose are hanging out right on the edges of ponds, lakes, rivers, etc., and if it has time to jump in & swim out in the middle before it dies,... you will, from that day on, make doubly sure that you do not repeat that senerio again,... :cry::gunsfiring:

Thought I would add another picture from the hood of my old truck from today,.... and even tho it's not snow,... it is frozen white stuff,... :bluebounc

frost.jpg