1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coming back to Chevy!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Eggie329, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I've decided that I have played enough Dodge games as both my Dodges have left me fixing them in the middle of almost every storm this year that I'm going back to good ol' Chevy! I decided to finish painting my 86' Silverado in the spring and rebuild the engine and sell my two Dodges for one good Chevy. I've been looking around and trying to decide. Is the Duramax and Allison worth all of the extra money or will I be just as happy with a 6.0L gas? I'd like a diesel, but don't see the point if I don't need it. This truck would be just for work and pulling my camper (8000lbs). In winter I would only use it for plowing about 16 hours each storm and working on rental properties so not a huge amount of miles. In summer it would mainly pull my landscape trailer. I'm looking at a gas 6.0 2500 with 90,000 for the same price as a Duramax with 160,000. I don't mind slightly high millage since I maintain vehicles well and don't abuse them. Any ideas about Chevys?

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Umm lets see you have an 8ft plow on a 1/2 ton and a 15 year old 2500. And you are complaining about break downs?

3. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

My Chevy is a half ton with 186,000 and has never had any major problems besides the head gasket. I know they are older, but it's getting rediculas I can't get either of them to keep going through one storm. Its just dumb stuff like the front drive shaft going flying from pushing snow!

4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

ahhhh diesel all the way! that gas motor would be junk doing those listed jobs efficiently

Ian

5. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

The Duramax would be nice to have there is no denying that.

But like you said the 6.0 will do just fine, it will move 8000 pounds and push snow with no problems. Anybody who says you need a diesel to push snow is full of it , IMO unless your pulling over 8-10K daily you just don't NEED a diesel.

My thoughts are like this. When my house is paid for, the kids college funds both have $350,000 each in them and I am on track for a 55 retirement, I can justify spending the extra $10,000 on a duramax I just don't need.

Until then my truck is just another tool used to make money and I want the most bang for my buck. My 2002 2500HD w 6.0 makes me a lot of money. It has 200,000 miles on it and has been paid off for years. It's making me the most money of any truck in recent history. Even if the motor blows tomorrow and cost me $3,000 its still cheaper then a new truck. I'm just not at a point in my life where I want to spend $10,000 unnecessarily on something like a work truck

6. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas. Its looking like I'm kind of in the middle category! I don't really need a diesel, but it would be nice. What are some of the extra things I'd have to do to maintain a diesel. And what do I need to do to keep it running when it gets really cold. I'm headed out to look at a 2500 with the 6.0 gas. I love the 5.3 in my Tahoe and it pull 8000 lbs of camper with no prisoners and I have never had any major issues with it. I'm looking at one with a Duramax tomorrow possibly. I probably need to drive them both to start to decide. Thanks for the input.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would get the 2 you have running in the best running shape you can and sell all 3 including the project truck and hope to get up enough to get a 2004 or newer.

8. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak Junior Member

well lets see for maintains, if i am not mistaking there will be more oil ever oil change in the diesel, u have to use diesel fuel treatment to keep the thing from jellin up when it get real cold out, and have to plug the thing in when its cold out. now with the gas really dont have to do all them extras except when it gets cold might have to put some dry gas in it every once in a while. someone can correct me if i am wrong but i have a 04 one ton with the 6.0 in it and it does just fine pushing the snow around. just add some wiegh in the back and good to go. oh yeah and the fuel prices are a whole lot different

9. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

hmmm

you dont want my opinion on chevys

10. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

I think the idea of selling all 3 is a good idea, but gas or diesel will work out for what your doing. If I was looking for a dmax though I would look for a LBZ in your price range, but thats just my opinion and to each his own..

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've had 3 Dmax's,all 3 were[are] great.My present 06 LBZ is the cat's azz for everything,especially for pushing app. 3 yds. of snow in scoop mode in 4Hi without grunting.Once you get used to your PM schedule and using a fuel lubricity additive and /or an anti gel in every fill,it will be second nature.Once you go Dmax,you would never go back to a gasser.There are excellent deals right now on clean 2006-2007 LBZ trucks,just a little more than a gasser if you do some careful shopping. Good luck.

12. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

I'll agree on one thing the dmax allison combo is one tough combo.....unfortunately the rest of the truck SUCKS.

13. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Yeah the plan is to put the two Dodges on the selling block and keep my old 86' as my second truck.

14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd definitely hold on to one of the three trucks for a back up, preferably the 86 Chev.

You never know when you will need it, and as hard as plowing is on a truck it's better to be safe than sorry.

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with this. When dealing with old trucks its the luck of the draw. Some will last and some will give you problems. I had a 90 Chev that broke down all the time so it isnt just a Dodge thing. Go buy a couple decent trucks and see what works best for you. If you are stuck on a new GM remember then go for it. They have their problems too... they all do.