1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

comfort in the truck while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theIceNSnowman, Dec 30, 2012.

1. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Any tips on how to make 10 or 20 hrs in the truck easier on the body or the mind? Creature comforts? Back supports , etc?

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Percoset. :drinkup:

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why kind of truck? What seat? I always thought power seat was essential for plowing. Comfort is super important and I liked to change the whole position a couple times a night. And plenty of tunes, lots of variety. If you dont have many stations nearby check into XMSiruis or bring your own. I avoid caffiene if possible for a couple reasons. It does not agree well with my digestive tract, and it loses effectiveness. A Dr Pepper once in a while carries a bigger punch when you dont have caffiene very often.

And just get out and walk around. One reason I didnt mind a little shoveling.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Went from a 1974 chevy c60 to an 87 suburban to an 03 f250 lariat. Don't think i could go back for any anything. Ipod bluetooth and pandora stereo, power heated leather seats, power pedals, backup cam. Power heated mirrors. All priceless beyond 10 hrs. Only thing i don't like about the truck is the length and turning radius

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Power lumbar support is worth its weight in gold to me. Although we haven't had a duration storm here in what seems like years. Sad

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Big difference between 10 and 20 hours.
    10 hours is no problem for me. 20 hours is pushing it big time. One reason I will never have anything but a ext cab is because I can comfortably take a nap in the back seat.
    When you are pushing 20 hours a 30-40 min nap will work wonders for a body.

I only use a gel seat pad to sit on so I am not pressing on the tail bone all day but I love my naps after long hours.
    Like Collin said tho, no snow here for almost a year now!!! :realmad:

7. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

My old suburban was sweeet for napping although the crew cab works OK too.

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Long-haul comfort is a primary concern for me when choosing a vehicle. You may have the wrong vehicle for you. You could try cushions/lumbar support add-ons/etc but for me the problem is usually the location (height and width/distance) of armrests, position of steering wheel, etc.

Then it's a matter of a variety of comfortable clothes including footwear, good tunes, good snacks, plenty of cans of soda, regulating the climate for long-term comfort, etc. Extended cab really helps have a place to put it all, then like REAPER said also good for catching a nap. When I used to plow professionally I had a regular cab and it sucked.

9. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

My truck is a 2010 f350 xlt cloth seats. Seat isnt terrible, could use some more lumbar support.
    My biggest and so far only complaint about this truck is the stupidly designed seat/console it has. Other than that, I actually feel like the truck is a good fit for me. I am just over 6 foot and I used to drive an 01 tacoma short cab. This truck felt enormous to me when I bought it, but now it feels normal.

percocet does do the job for the back, however it def dont help me stay awake on hour 15.
    Music is essential. Along with food and drink.
    Heated folding mirrors are nice when you just fit between 2 bushes on either side of truck.
    Coffee
    more coffee
    Real deal mag light for spotting mailbox number at 2 in the morn.

I was considering 2 mods.

Adding better, possibly power lumbar to my seat. Along with adding the heated seat kit.
    Second mod, completely redesign and build a new center console to replace the stupid seat/console that is there now. I would just go through ford and buy the console for a lariat of a similar year console, but they ares stupid expensive. I may start a thread to help me accomplish this effectively.

I love getting out of the truck for 5 or 10 to shovel. Really helps with longevity. at 3 in the morn when its snowing its nice being outside.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like plowing in my extended cab better then the straight cab.Captain chairs and center console to rest my arm on it when plowing.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Try a salvage yard. Might be cheaper than you think, and they would probably give you creditfor your seat.

12. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I suppose its because I mostly do residential driveways that I don't find comfort or staying awake a problem.

I usually leave the house with a to go cup of coffee or hot chocolate and a plastic bag with 3 or 4 bottles of Gatorade I throw in the bed to keep it cold.

but doing mostly residential I'm always out of the truck with the snow blower for the sidewalks.

but I think if I did mostly commercial lots the only thing I'd do is ditch the one piece carhart suit I wear.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I first read this as "I only use a gal seat pad to sit on," and my first thought was "Hell yeah!"

I don't think my mind ever leaves the gutter.

Seriously though, comfort in my current truck is miles above my previous trucks. Sirius radio, heated/cooled leather seats, tilt, integrated blue tooth for my phone, iPod for when I get bored with Sirius, rear window and side mirror defrost--all these things play a huge part for me these days. I'd have a tough time going back to my first 1984 regular cab Ford with a bench seat.

14. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Its stress that kills me, how much is this costing me, gas, payroll on Friday, break downs, every customer wants you there right now.... I use to love plowing and think about all the money.... The money is still great when if finally comes in..

15. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I have an 05 Lariat interior in my 01 super duty comfy electric heated leather makes a difference the console is nice too.
    -Tow mirrors and good back up lights are a must.
    -Extended cab is good for reclining the seat way back and keeping an extra set of boots, jackets, bibs, etc.
    -Finding a good spot to mount your controls makes a big difference.
    -My sidearm
    -Toolbox full of tools and parts to repair the truck, plow, fluids, lots of electric connectors, and wire make me feel very comfortable.
    -Keep gloves and hat on the defroster.
    -Lots of coffee
    -Smokes of you smoke
    -Music
    -Clean cab, I spend so much time trying to find little **** when it's a mess

16. wondo

wondo Senior Member

Oh and like mentioned before getting out of the truck to shovel and stretch the legs for a few minutes is nice.

17. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Ah yes, back up lights... soon enough.

2COR517, not a bad idea checking a salvage yard.
    Anybody else ever try to upgrade their console in a super duty?

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just spent from Wednesday around noon to Friday at some point in the truck.....It just plain sucks! I think we all agree on most things, I wish my truck had more lumbar support like reaper said. From the boss end of things inside my truck has plenty of paper work, xm radio, cell phone charger and thats about it besides a cup of coffee. I like a non cluttered cab plus we have plenty of convenience stores open 24/7 so I dont need to stock up on many things. After a long time sitting I like to get out, stretch a bit take in some nice chilly air and it revives me at least for another couple hours. Actually, I was told by a Dr. sitting in that position for extended time is not healthy and you should get out and walk around or stretch for a couple minutes. I dont miss the days of plowing solo during long storms, at least now I have a few guys to talk to during the night and I think thats huge in keeping your sanity at times.

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I love not having guys to talk to! First year ever. I'd rather talk to myself, we usually agree. :)

20. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

During long storms it was huge to talk on the phone with other local guys. Whether it just be bsing or weather conditions needing help etc really made a difference. I always seem to be on the phone during storms. It is nice to turn the radio down and listen to the truck and blade sometimes though, my favorite sounds are the ones that are putting $ in my pocket lol. Besides that chew and coffe keep me occupied.

Can't agree more that getting everything situated in the right positions makes a big difference. Having a mount for the phone plow controller etc within an easy reach is awesome. I hate digging when the phone rings. That and having springs, hoses, fluid solenoid fuses etc and almost any tool I could need in the toolbox plus electric impact and compressor makes for a pretty safe feeling when its 2am and the blade return spring snaps and goes shooting across the parking lot lol.