1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Come On Winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike 97 SS, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Is it me or cant anyone else wait to hook up the plow for the first snowfall of the season?? i find myself in the garage looking at the plow and saying, hehe cant wait. maybe im a weirdo, haha. Mike

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, Mike. No, I think you've got plenty of company around here. There has definately been an increase in posts lately. I was out, yesterday and today, looking the plows over, checking and starting the speader, washed and waxed the one ton. Next weekend I plan to wax the plows and get them into the dealer for checkup, changing fluid etc. Still thinking about buying a V plow; just need an excuse for the wife.

Maybe that 9' is beyond redemption :) .

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

ah, the good ole wife, hehe. luckily im not married and i still live home with mom and dad. :D i just bought the truck from my brother who bought it brand new back in 1992 and he is now married with a little girl so he needed to get rid of it for something with a back seat. its a 1992 Chevy 1500 4x4 shortbed, regular cab, 350 motor, automatic trans. it has a 7 1/2ft western uni mount pro plow on it. i have always liked the truck and i always told him i wanted it if he ever sold it. so the time finally came and he said do you still want it? im like yup, haha. we have a family business which is a gas station-auto repair shop and we used the truck lightly there for the passed 10 years and we have always serviced the truck and taken very very good care of it. i know the truck and i know its a good truck which is why i wouldnt hesitate to buy it. the plow has always been stored in my garage since new. so we are still gonna use it for work, picking up parts, road calls, and plowing out the place, but i figure if i have it, maybe i can make a few bucks with it plowing if anyone in my area needs it done. its not gonna be my everyday vehicle, for that i have a red 97 Camaro SS 6spd. as you can see im a Chevy guy. haha. Mike

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good luck, Mike. Sounds like you got a "good used" truck, having been in the family. I just came back in the house from going to look over the plows a little more. Too hot - one of those rare days in this part of Maine where it hit 90 degrees (and this is August?). Just a word of caution - make sure you get "snowplowing" put on that General Liability insurance policy.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

yea, thanks for the kind words and thanks for the welcome and the tip on the insurance. last year it didnt snow much if at all, i hope this year i get to use the plow, even if i dont make money with it this year, it find it kind of fun to atleast do my house and our shop. Mike

6. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Well Mike I don"t think it's crazy to be thinking about snow in Aug. I've been thinking about snow all year! I live in Ma. and last winter we had only one plowable storm (In my area) and as a result I can't seem to get snow off my mind! Even though it was 90 degree today and I stripping a roof off my neighbor house I keep looking at her driveway(that I plow and walkways that I shovel)crazy or what?

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

:D yea id say that is a little crazy, HAHA just kidding though. i just look forward to the first snowstorm and get a kick out of being out there plowing instead of inside sitting by the window watching the town truck come up my street plowing. other winters i would be watching him plow the street and im thinking, man i wish i had a plowtruck instead of a sports car! so now i have both, this should be fun. ;) Mike

8. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Ok I guess I'm a little Obessive!

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Right now the main reason I'm itchy for snow is that there would be no damn grass to mow. I'm about bored silly with cutting by this time every year. The heat has slowed the turf down enough that I can finally have time to build the plow mount for the latest truck.

10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I've been thinking about getting out there too latley, I can;t wait for snow, I have to go look at a condo complex that they want me to bid for snow plowing tomorrow afternoon acually.

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

What are you building now Alan?

Ok you Vuhhhhhhhmontahhhhhhh.... This flatlander is curious as to what you are concocting now??????

Come on fess up and get that digital cam working so we can see what you are doing!:D

12. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I can wait for winter to come. I've picked up a few goodies so far i hope to have in top notch shape by the fall for the winter season. I'd also like to bid on plowing for some churches and big driveways near where i work. Last season was a bust, but this year should be good.

Recent toys-

Sidewalk plow i found on ebay, was located in Jamaica Queens. Bought it, and picked it up saturday. Have it running, and about 60% of it sanded and primed. The pressure plate for the clutch is rusted from sitting for a while, so i'm going to try and free it this weekend. In another month, i'll have the machine all painted up, and working excellent.

3 lawn tractors. Found one at the garbage dump, a 7hp jacobsen. The person said the rings were bad. Get it home, buy a battery for it, and start it. After the carb. was adjusted it runs excellent. Then on sunday, someone gave me 2 tractors, a john deere and a gilson. The john deere has chains, weights, a snowblower and a deck. The front axle needs two parts which i ordered. The john deere will be overhauled this fall, repainted, and we're going to put the snowblower on the front.

Big 2 stage snowblower. The same person who gave me the tractors is going to give me an Ariens(?) 8hp, 24" 2 stage snowblower if i take an air conditioner and a roll of wire fence away.

I have enough toys for now though :D I'm still looking for a 1 ton dump though.

Bryan

p8120005.jpg

13. snow

Here's a photo of the gilson and the john deere

p8110004.jpg

14. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 Banned

Hey Bryan thanks for letting me help u pick up those tractors it was a good day and by the way its an old gilson snowblower that I hope we can get this upcoming Sunday IM looking forward working with u some more this fall as school starts. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2002
  15. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Brian, can you tell us more about that sidealk plow? What engine does it have? Who makes the machine? Who makes the plow? How many HP? I know 2 sites of our its would be perfect for.

~Chuck

16. snow

Chuck-

The sidewalk plow was made by Brant Machine of Brant,NY. I found it on ebay, and it looked decent and was located in Jamaica Queens, so i bought it. I tried to get more info on the machine, but i think that the company is out of business. It's powered by a 4 cylinder wisconsin air cooled engine, hp unknown. I'm guessing it's a 5 ft plow, manual angle. It has the brackets for angle cylinders, so after i get some more work done, i'll probably run an extra valve and add cylinders so it will be power angle.

The machine has 4 spds on the shifter and reverse, which is mounted behind the seat. It has a clutch/brake and a gas pettle. It steers like a skidsteer with two handles.

From years of sitting, the pressure plate has frozen up, so yesterday me and the owner of the property where i keep the machine tried to free the clutch. We tried 8 times, and it's almost getting there. We drove it into a tree in high gear, it would either stall it or free the clutch. Next week we'll spray Kroil (like liquid wrench but better) and try to free the clutch again.

Yesterday we cleaned out the carb and adjusted it. The fuel tank is rusty, so i have to clean it out.

Monday i will finish priming it, and work on cleaning the gas tank.

This coming up saturday, the clutch will hopefully be free, and the new ignition and distributor cab installed.

I'll have more photos monday. Sorry for rambling.

Bryan

17. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Hey Brian, That machine is sweet! It reminds me of the ones that they use in Vermont for sidewalks. All of theirs' had v plows though. Send me some pics of the project as it goes. Would love to see the end result.

18. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

no grass here to mow, bought an 88 dodge with myers plow. have taken plow completley apart sanded and re-painted am currently putting back together.yes i'm ready to plow. will probly have all 4 plows ready by end of august. never been ready this early. no rain and at least 30 days + of 92 or highyer. looks like FALL HERE. leaves are falling do to drought