1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Combine???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Oct 17, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, so I am dreaming of pushing snow. Today the farmers are in ther fields combining the corn and I started to think. Has anyone seen or herd of a combine being coverted to a monster snow pushing machine. If you think about it there woulnt be much work in adding a blade, hacking off some extra pieces and making a super cheap pusher. Can pick a used combine for nearly scrap metal prices. :dizzy:

So what do you think??

DAFF

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There was one guy I heard of doing that. He totally stripped the combine down, so he would have better visibility. I'm not sure how well it worked but it didn't look too pretty. I'm not sure how reliable an old combine would be either. Guys have made old comebine's into pretty much anything you can think of so why not a snowplow.

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

theres a guy on here that asked a question about converting a self propelled haybine to a plow...basically what it comes down to is those machines are meant to be driven forward (mostly) and not intended to push heavy loads

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it's been done before, it was in one of the farm papers last season. i'm still looking for an old hay swather/ haybine. it would have the visiability you need vs. a combine. and it would also have a better turning radius, might like in hydro pump power though.

5. Jay brown

that's funny dirt digger, i'm that guy that asked and you replied the same time i replied. what are the chances?????

6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

chances are pretty good...haha im bored out of my mind right now..too dark to work, to warm to snow and no rain to bring trees down

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen a big new JD forage harvester with a double auger snow blower, They use it in the winter to load trucks with snow and cut corn and hay the rest of the year.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have wondered it for years

What about the straw chopper for salt spreader? LOL

we have a large farm equip auction in town every month (cooktractor.com) and them 'ol f2's sale for $1500 and i always thought it was a cryin shame for somethin with a motor to sale that cheap

IF ANY ONE TRIES IT PLEAS KEEP US INFORMED

9. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

IDK how well they would work when you get on ice? maybe if you have rear wheel assist, but have you ever had to drive a combine on ice? they get to spinning and sliding pretty easy.

10. powerjoke

What do you harvest with ice on the ground? late late beans

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes if it's a wet fall, we wait untill the ground freezes to harvest. If you want to see me get mad , get salt all over my combine. PITA

12. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

yeah, if its realy wet fall you can wait till the ground freezes to finish beans and corn. I just know from driving one of ours from the dealership to the farm in january one time.

13. Jay brown

we might have one of theose "wet" falls here. they closed a road and a highway down today because of flooding of a nearby river.

14. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Heres my ride for fall,I think they would be pretty worthless in the snow or even trying to push it.Besides being hard on the hydrostat.there very front heavy,with the 12 row corn head on the will do a rear wheelie pretty easy.At $250,000 a pop makes an expensive snow pusher,besides who would want to run an older one.

You can put one on the tractor in the second pic,much better plowing machine.

110-1018_IMG.JPG

109-0992_IMG.JPG

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Closet that I found to what you were looking for.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  16. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I've often wondered about the same thing. I'd think a plower would do much better than a plow.

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We build alot of crazy stuff in our shop and nearly tried this a few years back after a couple of combine demos but I feel to get one cheap enough not sure it would be reliable and my biggest concern was the drive hydros not sure they would take the heavy push continually plus not sure what SuperTarget would think of an old Gleaner flopping across their lot haha

18. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have spent nearly every day in one of our combines since Sept 18th. You couldn't pay me enough to plow snow in one of them.

1st: You cant see **** behind you from the cab of these machines. All you have is mirrors and they suck too.

2nd: You are extremely tall. I look down on semis when I pull up to them... honestly. This could lead to snagging powerlines. Just because the powerlines on the road have to be 13'9" doesn't mean where you are plowing at has to be.

3rd: Newer machine, too expensive payup Older machine, loud and annoying. You are sitting about 18" away from the motor. In older machines the motor is sitting right along side of you...riding shotgun.

4th: We have an older machine and a newer machine. Old machinery buys for cheap for a reason. The more hours the more problems. I have spent countless hours trying to fix and keep the old machine running. :realmad:

Overall, My 2 cents, I think you will run into more headaches than it is worth.

Here's our machines.

002.JPG

001.JPG

Farmin 007.JPG

20. powerjoke

Verry nice post phillbilly, well thought out and had good and bad points about the idea but i think the breakdowns and the noise and other mechanicle issues i figuredout YOUR COMBINES ARE GREEN LOL Thats the Prob. aint it JD DAVE