1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Combine snow pushing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NickSnow&Mow, Feb 14, 2015.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Anyone running a really old combine with like a 20ft pusher? I was thinking you could do that sice it already has the arms to lift the header, you could also somehow rig the system to put salt in the hopper and get it to spit out the back where the corn or bean stalk usually would come out, genius or what lol.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's a swather but the premise is the same I guess. A tractor is a better starting point to push snow with. Combines that you can generally afford to buy to push snow with won't be very reliable and very expensive to fix. Also I doubt there's a combine that can push a 20ft pusher. Ours is actually quite scary to drive when it's slippery out.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Something tells me that if it was a good idea it would have been done already.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

8. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

They did this on Top Gear UK. Series 15, Episode 5. Its hilarious to watch, but I don't see it being practical (as they show quite well).

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

looks a bit bulky,,, have fun,,,,,

lll.jpg

th.jpgjjj.jpg

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

11. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

13. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Haha it was more of a joke guys I dont think it a great idea. Visibility would be horrible behind you, it has a massive turning radius, and you'd have to be insane to put a 400k machine that you use in the fall on snowduty. The only time I could see it being used is if you found an insane deal on a lower hour really old one and just take advantage of the pure horsepower. The only way it could be possible is because the technology changes so fast and big farmers get new ones every two years so they become outdated and unwanted fast, tractors hold value much better I think

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

U can find old swathes for 2K just add a v-box and a plow.

15. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yeah but as the Top Gear guys found out, why do you need visibility behind you when you have that kind of power wesport

Or a flamethrower :laughing:

Or a high powered "gritter" :drinkup:

16. usmcdroach

usmcdroach Member

I have a combine that I run in the demo derby at fair every year. I Think it would be fun but completly useless. We have 8-10 inches on the ground. I think I'm gonna go fire it up and see if it will push anything.

17. usmcdroach

usmcdroach Member

18. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

19. usmcdroach

usmcdroach Member

Ha we are hillbillys around here!

20. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

No kidding xysport