1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Combating Pile melt icy spots

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by columbiaplower, Mar 7, 2003.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

With daytime temps in the 50's and night time temps in the teens. I am trying to find a way to keep the ice down with a limited amount of applications. What product would the most residual for this type of spot salting? I have been using a blend of potassium and mag and some rocksalt.
    -Nick

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ideally, when ever possible ......

you clear curb to curb, and push all the snow to the lowest end of the parking lot.

This helps reduce severe run off from melting piles, however it will not eliminate it completely.

As far as a magic bullet , there is no such animal!!!!!!! snow melts and turns to water, water tends to run down hil or pubble up , so all you can do is use a deicer if it refreezes.

Magic Salt and some other deicers actually work to a lower temperature so the amount of refreeze is reduced, so you may want to look into some of those types of ice melt products.

3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

All my lots have been cleared curb to curb and stacked with a loader. But with these high temps the melting rate its practically flooding the lots. I was trying to figure a way to keep the the spots melted and am try to figure what melt product will stick around the longest.....ment to post this in the ice mang forum, sorry.
    -Nick