1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Colorado vs. Mass. pricing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BoulderBronco, Nov 12, 2003.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I plowed in Mass. for two years when I was in High School. That was 8 years ago. I am back this winter to plow again. Seems prices have not changed much. Residential ranging between $20 and $45 (more if a larger storm) and small condo complexes and apartment complexes running somewhere between $200 and $450. Generally I can make over $1k per storm and even more on heavy snow. My question is how does this compare to Colorado pricing? I have lived in Colorado the past 8 years but never plowed. I just bought a plow and am wondering if it will be worth it to take it back to Colorado with me when I head back this coming spring. I am referring to the Denver, Boulder area by the way. I know that there is not much residential business to be had in the Boulder area but what about parking lots and businesses? Can I make $1000 a storm out there also or is the business not there? Thanks for any help.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hi Bronco:waving:

My Dad lives in Castle Rock, just south of Denver, and he gets $125.00 per hour all day long. When he subs for people he usually gets $65.00-75.00 per hour. Prices might be different in Golden and Fort Collins area.:)
  3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

boulder Bronco,
    The Boss is pretty close. We do $100/hr min and set it up on a per push. example. Lot takes 45 min with 2-5 inches. Base charge is $75. Over 5 inches is either a 2nd push ($150) or for some of our older customers, a flat $100 per hour for how ever long it takes. we pay our subs $60 per hour to start and 5$ per hour raise for dependability as a Christmas bonus. Then $70 the second year.
    works pretty well.;)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  4. bingermann

bingermann Member

North metro pricing

I plow the Arvada/Golden area and find that the going rate charged by the big companies such as Urban Farmer, Metco, etc.. is about $75/hour. If you can get more than you are doing great. I charge $75/hour for plow truck and $25/hour for hand shoveler. That price is great for me as I do this part time and own all my equipment, therefore have no overhead.
  5. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

you do have overhead, ie: insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc. you always will have to cover those costs. So you will always have overhead, just not bank payment's on new equipment. payup
  6. bingermann

bingermann Member

True, I do pay insurance, and gas. My fault!