1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Colorado laws/requirements

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by maccrazy2, Jan 27, 2008.

1. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

Hello all. I have a question about the yellow lights. Are they required when not plowing if you are on city streets? I plan on driving to work with my plow on when it snows. I will only be plowing my own driveway when I return home at night. I just need to find out if it is required to have one when in transit. Thanks Chris.

2. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it is not a State requirement, but specific counties or towns may have such an ordinance. I rarely see a pick-up with a plow just driving down the road with a warning lignt on in Jefferson or Park county at least. Check with yours.

3. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Ask a CHP at a donut shop (just kidding). Doubtful, most would only require a warning device if the vehicle was not able to travel at a reasonable speed as to create a hazard to traffic flow. Example- farm tractors on certain roads (state highways). A phone call to city hall or if you're rural the county courthouse will answer for sure. Or the dunut shop.

4. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

Thanks guys. I never see anyone with them flashing while in transit I was just curious if there was some law requiring you to have one when a plow is mounted. I called the police station and asked and got no good answer.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Most states only require a flashing light when you are engaged in snowplowing/removal from city streets.

You do not need to use one while plowing your own drive, a lot. or just driving around with your plow on.

Most folks run them for a piece of mind/safety while plowing their accounts.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya peace of mind cause nobody eles in the world cares that ur working they just go about being pains in the butt. if i leave my LED strobes on and forget about them i am like y r people so far back at like traffic lights or driving down the street. i am like opps. i have a rotater too but i dont use it that much if i can avoid it its bright and sucks some good amps.

7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

Yeah The Led Lights Are Nice They Are So Bright And They Are Brighter The Further Away You Are

8. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

In CT. you are supposed to have a permit .. I don't and don't know any one who has one. Never been bugged.

9. flynnster1

flynnster1 Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting into plowing this year with a Ponderosa Steak house lot and about 10 driveways. I'm wondering what the best sander/salter is to get. I'm considering the Snow Ex but I want the best one to get so I'm not spending all day unpugging the thing. I will probably use about 10% salt to 90% sand mix. I think a smaller unit will be all I need now. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

10. E Condit

E Condit Junior Member

Greetings all ...

I saw rjfetz1's post about needing a permit in CT. Is this for commercial, residential, or just to have the plow on the roads?

Everett Condit

11. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member