1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

color filters for lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Omaha Plowboy, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Anyone have a know a good site to order color filters/inserts for light bars ??? I need (2) purple filters/inserts for my Federal Signal Jetsonic lightbar.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

you can try Camp Safety Equipment in Cincinnati Ohio... They may be able to hook you up. YES PURPLE is out there... Have a DARE cruiser in town that has a Vector with all Purple. He got them from Camps...

4. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

I have 4 purple filters/inserts, just need 2 more too finish the side off. 3 front plus a clear, 1 back need 2 more, and have a clear. Turned ally lights too face backwards. Nice for extra lights backing up.

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

You don't need filters for clear!

6. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Why do you need purple lights for plowing snow?

7. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Don't need, but they are legal. I just happen too have 4 purple filters, only need 2 more too finish the bar off. (each side takes 8 filters. 4 front, 4 back.) One side is blue and and the other is purple. Just cheaper too buy 2 purple filters.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  8. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

Actually yes you in Federal Signals "Jet" series lightbars.

The only exceptions being if you wanted an all clear lightbar, or had colored domes.

9. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

I find it very stange you can run any color for plowing.

If I could chose my color I would be running blue. It is not necessarily my favorite color but it is my favorite color LED.

10. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

I know around here purple are for funeral cars

11. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Without any filters, it's way too brite. I wouldn't want too blind anyone or cause anyone too wreck their car. The domes are clear. I called the local PD and they said red is the only color I can't legally run. A buddy had 4 purple filters and I bought 6 blue and 4 clear filters off ebay. Just haven't seen a couple purple filter on ebay for a decent price lately. If I can't find them, www.lightbars.net has the blue ones for $2.50 each. If I have too buy 6 more, wouldn't be the worst thing I guess.

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

dude get amber its what everyone else runs....not to get on your case about it but someones going to see purple lights going off and think the circus is in town and not think safety

13. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Everybody does have amber, that's why I don't. I like too be different. Believe me, purple and blue gets everyone's attention just as well, if not better then the amber does. Besides, 2 purple filters or 6 blue filters is less money out of my pocket then 12 amber would be. Oh well if they think a circus is in town, as long as they can see me and don't pull out infront/behind me while I'm working, LOL.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  14. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

Not to deny that you may be able to run purple, but I wouldnt take the word of the cop you spoke to at the station. A lot of cops really dont know the laws as well as they should.

I would call your DMV and ask them.

15. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

That's a good point, I'll do that with in the next day or 2. I don't fore see any issues though.

16. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

Just for grins I looked up the Nebraska state law because as mentioned sometimes the local officers are not well versed with the emergency lighting laws.

This is what I found for Nebraska:

Section 60-6,230
    Lights; rotating or flashing; colored lights; when permitted.

(5) Blue and amber rotating or flashing lights may be displayed on vehicles used for the movement of snow

I doubt that you would ever have a problem as you have not yet up until this point. This is just an FYI.

17. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Cool, think I just might have too order 6 more blue filters. I know where too get those fairly cheap.

18. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

One of the local muni is running green/yellow on thier whelen bars. Looks good with something other than yellow. They stand out and catch your eye.

19. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

I just called "Wiseguys" www.lightbars.net and order 6 blue filters. $24.00 including shipping isn't bad. Should have then next week. No biggie to me, I just didn't want amber like everybody else, LOL.

20. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Green is either Command (fire service) or Security guards.

FYI on the visibility issue...
    Most Visible Clear
    Next Amber
    Followed by Red
    Then Green
    Darkest Blue/Purple