1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

color additives

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fernalddude, Nov 29, 2004.

1. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

OK might be stupid question but does anybody add color to the salt or cal they applied to check the pattern. The reason why i ask is I'm thinking of color for my liquid spray so i can see the pattern but worried about staining lots or cars in traffic area.Would hate to pay for paint jobs for any damage.. Thanks.............

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Baltimore city, Maryland is going to with colored salt. White, blue, and green. that way residents can really see when trucks come through. Not all applications will be colored i.e. the white.

3. fernalddude

Any idea what they use for the color?

4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

around here its all sand/salt, makes everything look dirty when it goes down

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

6. Ted Leslie

Ted Leslie Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

In general the color seen on bulk rock salt is an anti-caking agent.

We use a food grade dye that biodegrades with U-V light to color our Caliber liquid for clients that wish to have color for visual control or to add color to treated rock salt.

Ted Leslie
    SynTech

7. fernalddude

ok food grade dye was going to use it for a test but i guess not red dye #2 :) thanks for the info....