1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

College Student Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mferrari, Nov 9, 2008.

1. mferrari

mferrari Member

When I bought my new truck the previous owner has a plow already installed on it. It's an 01 3/4 ton Dodge with the cummins. And has a Western plow.

I am currently in school on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We don't get a ton of snow here, actually we are luck to see 2 inches on the ground, but we frequently get freezing rain and snow that melts and freezes over everything. Also because of the lack of snow the city freaks out if we get any accumulation.

Since I already have the plow that saves me out front cost, but if I am plowing down here I would like to get a spreader since that is a majority of the needs for people and obviously insurance.

I have spoken with my landlord and property managers at different student apartments in the area and they are looking for contracts for the winter.

Would you all recommend me buying a spreader and insurance to start out by myself or still try and join with a contractor as a sub? Any other tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Good luck to you!:waving:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. mferrari

mferrari Member

Thanks for the input.

I was planning on storing salt in the bed of the truck and in the shed at my house. Most of Dec and Jan I am not in class so I can easily deal with contracts then and the rest of the time I should easily be able to make any contracts before or after classes depending on the storms (I have a pretty light class schedule).

So I will be making some phones in the next couple of weeks to see who I can sub contract for.

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

No problem!:waving: I would go with the sub contract work, Febuary is usally are best month for snow. With the storing of the salt i guess we are talking about bag salt? The only problem with storing it outside they become frozen bricks!

5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

if you have the money to purchase a spreader and you really want to do pursue this then go for it. salting is the best money make anyways so good luck!

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

No matter what, you need ins.

so go talk to your agent and get some.

Then you can find work, you should sub first.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya you definately need insurance if you are going to salt. the liability is so huge when de-icing, you could lose everything

8. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

I had a similar situation myself, my last year of high school back in NY, I bought a Jeep Wrangler with a 7' Meyers plow on it. After a few weeks of driving around cold calling I had 50 residential driveways and a high school in CT. There is a lot of work out there, you just have to go get it.

good luck to ya