1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

College Student Just Starting Out...Need Help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by THE MENACE, Jun 26, 2012.

1. THE MENACE

THE MENACE Junior Member

Howdy,

I have read a lot of great info on your site but was hoping for some guidance on my specific situation. I am a college student right now and am thinking of bringing in (or at least attempting to) bring in some extra cash this winter for school. I live in a small, very small town with a few subdivisions of middle class standing and a few lower class ones.

How could I go about starting something like this with a lower investment? I already have a half ton 07 silverado but I do not want to use that for work stuff (especially plowing and salting), but could trailer some snow blowers or atvs with plows on it. I do have a 91 half ton silverado manual trans, 4wd does not work but hi/lo range does. Seems to have been a plow truck in the past. Could I possibly plow with that? It is in rougher shape.

What prices should I charge for resi customers? Monthly fees or charge each time I remove snow? I have a 'sub' as you call them already, someone who can do this with me.

Just not sure how to approach this...

Thanks in advance, your advice is greatly needed and appreciated.

Alex

2. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Welll Alex a few things. Have you ever thought about being a sub for someone else? Not bad pay and no headache's or very few. Or get in on with a plow company just for plowing. If you are going after home owners. An ATV works great. One thing to remember is you my need to plow. A driveway a few times with a bike. And keep up with the storm. As for plowing with a manual a lot of people do it but you can burn it up fast. And do not for get about insurance. It's not cheap but it is a must. And last thing have fun

3. THE MENACE

THE MENACE Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Couldnt help but notice you are in fort wayne, I am just east of you in Defiance, Oh.

Alex

4. blazer2plower

Fort Wayne is the closes to me most of my plowing is in Payne Ohio. I know every one has a plow there. I would hook up with a landscaper for plowing. For a few years. Having a plow and truck. Does not make any one. A good plower let me take you out to lunch some time. I know a few landscaper's that way. That won't cheat you. I can make a few calls if you want.

5. THE MENACE

THE MENACE Junior Member

That sounds great, I would be happy to do lunch. I am out of town until the end of August, we could do it then.

Alex

6. blazer2plower

OK just let me know the date and ill come up