1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

College & Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by theguynextdoor, Dec 9, 2007.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Im 18, freshman in college as a pre-medical major. I always thought this is what i wanted to do. But I've started plowing and have been landscaping for 6 years or so. Granted I've only plowed once so far, I love doing it, I make a ton of money with it and have a lot of fun with it. Go figure, I've found a job that i can make more money than any other job I could have now and enjoy doing it. I have no problem getting up at 3am to plow. I think I could see myself owning a large scale landscaping and snowplowing business. But I also could see myself becoming a doctor after college. I guess i just like the work now and dont like homework. haha

Anyone else do this while in college or have any thoughts on this?
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Stay in school as long as you can:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
  3. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

im 19 and in college,
    I thought I wanted to do this for a living, but wait until your truck breaks down and people start calling you, gas prices sky rocket, and they call for nothing and it snows an inch. Im staying in school. It is a good part time gig for me. I seal driveways in the summer I like that wayyy more.
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Stay in school, someday if you decide that landscaping is for you instead of being a doctor then atleast you have a good solid backup. I'm young also and have found that things don't always work out as planned. Good luck!
  5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

yeah, i like what i am hearing here but keep in mind this is new and its all fun when everythings going well. i only have my as degree and am about 10 classes from my bs degree. I wanna go back. i love this but as once pointed out to me, everyone isnt able to make it to the top of running a large company, as thats my goal as well. i love this type of business and if i am not able to make it a business and not a job than i am out. its damn hard and everyone on here knows that if you love teh med stuff youll make more moeny and love it just as much doing that than this if your not able to make it to the top. just my thoughts on this hope it helps you out, but stay in school run this on the side. make more than you teachers:)and try to blow it up when you get out of school if you still enjoy it. sorry there are some (a bunch) typos on here but, i just went rambo on it :gunsfiring:
  6. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Im 22 and graduation for the Univeristy of IL and Im full time landscape/snow removal. I'll have my bs in Horticulture specializing in Landscape Production, Management, and Design.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stay in school, what the Doctors charged to fix my knee is more than you'll make all season!
  8. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I had the chance to go to collage but I picked the other choice landscaping and snow plowing and now that I am older I wish that I would of went to collage. Stay in school
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

STAY IN SCHOOL, it is alot eaiser then waiting 10 years like i did. try going to school full time with a 2 small kids, a wife and house to take care of.
    if you stick to your education you can always get a job out of college doing landscaping/snow plowing and if that does not work out get a job in whatever your degree is in.
    try plowing for a while, it is fun but does get old after a while, of course you are young so it does not affect you the same.
  10. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Stay in school, I just finished my landscape management degree and am working on my business degree now, dual AS. I am also 21, run 4 personal trucks, a skid steer and 3 subs on 130 accounts ranging from a driveway the size of my truck, to a private road a mile long, to 3 acres of asphault, not the biggest guy here but not to shabby for being 21 either.
    Finish school, Im going back out plowing, been up since 3am, glad we're only doing commercial and condos today:dizzy:
  11. buffalonick

buffalonick Junior Member

Yea im in the same dilemma, i live in buffalo and im sure you know these colleges. Im 21 when i got out of highschool i bulls**ted around and went to ecc for a semester and decided i hated school, took two years off, went back to nccc when i was 20 and hated it again, tried to force my way through ecc this semester and just hate it and cant decide what i wanna do. But i have been thinking of doin a landscpae business for the last year and a half and decided to do it this upcoming spring. I will still work full time as a manager of a pizzeria at night unless i get so many accounts that i need to spend full time with my company. But i figure if i like it enough i will start my horticulture degree at nccc next fall, as i hopefully plow. My company's name is Nickel City Outdoor Services, we will service mostly Kenmore, north buffalo, cheektowaga, and west seneca. We run one truck, my personal 2004 explorer till this time next year when i will get a 350 or 250. And run an open trailer, all stihl handhelds, no clue on mower yet. Will be licensed and insured, o and i contacted you about your trailer....email me at nickelcitylawn@gmail.com
  12. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Stay in school. Get your degrees. Then you can do whatever you feel like doing with your life. With your degree, you always have something to fall back on. Being in this business is not all its cracked up to be. But I must be doing something right because I have been doing it for 20 years now, or I am just a moron :help:. I started my co. when I was 14, kept it going through College and got my degree in, what else, landscape design and horticulture (boy what another moron move :gunsfiring:). I guess I had a glutten for punishment. :dizzy:
  13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

finish school, keep this is in your back pocket...who knows, maybe you can be your own plow guy for your future office location
  14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Do what you love... stay in school and if you are getting the feeling after a few years that the pre med isn't for you , you can always change majors... while taking pre med courses why not take a few business classes..... I graduated with a BA in Business Management with a Minor in Economics... been using this degree ever since.
  15. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i wasted time and money going to college while i did landscaping part-time. i finally said the heck with it and went out full bore..personally, i hate school. this was the right choice for me even though i love to complain about it! haha
  16. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

im 26 and in college.

college life offers some of the best schedules to "plowers" since most classes dont start untill 8, most around 9 (college professors are about the laziest people ive ever met)

and you get a nice chunk off during the winter months anyway (winter recess, and early spring break )
  17. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

I am currently a senior at NDSU and will graduate in the spring. I work for a local lawncare/snow removal company now and love doing it. There have been times where classes have been missed because I'm out pushing snow but I also have the option to not go into work (my boss is all about school and is very flexible with schedules for the college guys) this is the exact reason I have NOT started doing my own plowing yet. Customers don't care how many tests or classes you have, when it's your company you better get their stuff cleared.

Stay in school and get your degree, like others have said if you get out and don't like doing the whole doctor thing you can go the other route of landscaping and snow work. BUT at least you still have that degree to fall back on if things change again down the road.

I plan on starting my own lawncare/ snow removal company but not till I'm out of school so I can focus 100% on my company and customers.
  18. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Charge? What do you mean charge? tymusic
  19. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

the business isn't what its all cracked up to be though either, that's why i'm finishing my teacher's degree...just in case, you never know, prices get lower, more people get laid off, which means more competition, you never, never know, so i want a fall back option...or when i have the degree, ill still plow and help out
  20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I have alot of friends that are teachers (I went to a teaching college even though I majored in business)and thats not all its cracked up to be....too much politics...alot of my friends are no longer teachers.
    good luck luck with your choice and lets all hope the industry gets better!