1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Collecting Ideas

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by EGLC, Dec 16, 2009.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to be building a custom backrack next year...heres a quick mock-up I did on paint lol

anyone want to throw out ideas lmk....BTW I'm 1000000% AGAINST a light bar so dont mention one lol

backrack.2.jpg

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

more lights....lots more lights..

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

well I want to def. put 4 LIN6s........3 look out of place. oh and where do you expect me to put more lights?? lol According to my measurements all 8 lights with 1" gaps will be over 54" wide.

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think the one you already have looks great.....except for the wires dangling of course.

5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I cant stand mine personally....I hate how my lights are all spread out....I want a flush mount and I want it to look like the rack was designed AROUND the lights lol......but hell if you like it you can buy it off me and finance my new one ussmileyflag :salute:

6. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

I'm thinking of putting two whelen L32's on my backrack or a whelen dominator 8 LINZ6 light. Like the traffic advisor part of it. Not sure what I'll do. Maybe both. :bluebounc

tadp8.jpg

7. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

thats the beauty of fabbing your own rack, if you have the skills and think ahead a little, you can run all wires inside...all it takes is opening the back of the the top square tubing and making a face plate, threading, and bolting it so you can get to the back of all your lights, then run the loom with all the wires inside one of the verticals and have a 3/4" or 1" hole with a grommet at bottom of vertical to run over bed rail, the end of your loom with wires pops outta this hole...or run it right down to the bottom of bed, whatevers clever....hardly see the wires...can look real slick....was thinking of getting to my own BackRack project after the season...When I do get the chance, and blow the dust off the welder...I will post it up and show my progress...good luck on yours...hope it works for ya

8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Im happy with what I have. Good luck to ya.
    [​IMG]

9. DHDB

DHDB Member

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Couldn't you do 1 of the clears on each side, and then 4 of the 6 up leds. You'd have to space them out a little farther to make it look right. How well do those clear leds work? Like hows the beam spread? Just thinking that all you might do is light up your bed and thats the worst thing you want while its snowing like crazy and you can't see.

11. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

something i sketched up a while ago made the sides alot bigger than the backrack

untitled1.jpg

12. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I don't expect the clears to light up far distance. Its more just as a reverse light, I have strobes in my stander reverse light area. Also I want turn/tail/stop/running on the back rack so that's why it make it 2 on each side.

I would also ad a 3x3 or 5x5 work light on each side of this "hanging" off of it.

13. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

oh8 I love that!! Looks really good man! Might do something like that!

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

lil bit of everything on this......my nieghbor is a cert. welder and engineer...

backrack.3.jpg

15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

16. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

here is a better one...........

backrack.4.jpg

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ya I know but free is for me. All those lights were collected over time and free. The rack was made with scrap and a little bit of bought steel.
    T.J.

19. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I like the one on post #16... Now you need to add some lights on the sides... I suggest an amber and a clear. Amber during your plowing and you'll have the ability to light the sides with the clear for when you exit to light the sides of your truck!

20. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

The one drawback to hearing all these ideas is that with each one my wallet gets lighter....I'm always fabbing something up...this just gives me more ideas to give my money away..lol