1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Colder, snowier winter predicted for east

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by General Grounds, Nov 5, 2001.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

;) :) :p Heard on local news channel, that the east could be in for a below normal temp reading and above normal snow totals. What have you guys heard? T

2. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I saw that on channel 10......................Hope they're right.

An above average snow fall for our area is a very good thing!!

Mark

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I allso hope they are right or atleast as good as last year with out the cement like waight snow. Time will only tell as allway's.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Just get stuff ready, and sit back and let it come.

We had a little bit of white stuff on the ground this morning.

Geoff

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

our weather guy made his prediction for this winter. he said it will be an avg winter, with approx 50 inches of snow for CT. he predicted a cold november and a snowstorm by the end of the month. temps will be fairly normal, but some slushy, icy storms for mid winter. i just think the best thing is to wait it out and see what happens though. these bozos hardly ever can tell whats going to happen

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Lol, here in CT, average means, last year you get 100 inches of snow, year before you get none, so 50 inches is the average.

With that out of the way, central CT averages around 12 snow events a season, with 6 under 3 inch events, 3 or 4, 3 to 6 inch events and two storms over 6 inches. We have a 1 in 4 chance of receiving a storm with totals over 12 inches. Last year alone we had 3 of them so go figure. Our first measurable snow, on average, hits by December 11, with a 1 in 4 chance of having that by November 25.

This info courtesy of Dr Mel from the Weather Center at Western CT State University.

8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

snow predictions

I was reading either the old farmers almanac or the new one and the said that the n.e. is supposed to be getting below average temps. and above average snow. The thing that really stuck me was a white x- mas for just about everyone AND feb 4-11 BLIZZARD! I don't really beleive them all the time but we'll see.

9. Chip

Chip Member

Mark
    I hope that wasn't John Bolaris that said that. Remember what happened last year !:rolleyes:

10. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Chip,

It was Hurricane Schwartz. Same difference................................

Hopefuly it's not alot of hype again

Mark

11. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

T.:mad: you guys are right they both suck, did'nt think it was that hard to read the national weather srevice report.:p

12. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

lol...... 2-3 ft mother of all snow storms turned into 3 inches! :eek:

13. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Well both Bolaris & Schwartz were both on the news tonight talking about a nasty cold front coming down from our northern friends next week. If thier right(???) mabye throw in alittle precip??

14. Chip

Chip Member

Tom Lamaine on ch3 hinted about snow on thanksgiving. That was monday morning and he said 240 hr models hinted about snow. I'm not ready for it are you? I still have a couple weeks of clean-ups and the plow is still in the back of the garage. It has been so mild this fall I havn't really prepared for snow. It wouldn't be the first time we got snow on turkey day. I guess I better pull my pants up and get ready. Wouldn't want to get caught with them around my ankles.

15. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I could roll outa here in about 30 minutes. Got a jump on things this year & took advantage of the mild weather to get my stuff ready.All of my neighbors were laughing at me. Home Depot just got salt in, think I'll stop by & grab 20 bags or so. I have enough in the garage now but this year I want to have enough to cover a few events in storage. Plus I've been treating the salt with Magic so I want to try and stay on top of things. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I'm supposed to head up the Poconos to do alittle deer hunting (beer & cards) after Thanksgiving. Would it be asking too much for a timed event??

Mark

16. Chip

Chip Member

Mark
    I'm also heading for the Pocono's for the big opener. Snow would send me home for sure. Let's hope for a timid event.

17. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

18. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

The guy Paul recommends is very good. I read his forecast, and it lays it all out quite well, and he basically agrees with everyone else about how it will happen this winter.

19. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I give up on trying to figure out these predictions.

When it snows, we can and will deal with it.

Geoff

Just give me a simple answer. Is there going to be more snow and cold, or less snow and cold.

20. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

A simple answer Geoff;

My Indian friends tell me that you can always tell how cold a winter it will be by looking at the size of the woodpile that the whitemen put up before winter. They say it works every year, but I haven't been able to calibrate the method yet.