1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cold winch problems

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by mulockdog, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mulockdog

mulockdog Junior Member
    from ontario

I have a superwinch that is 2 yrs old i have checked all my connections and they seem good. When I activate the switch the winch will not go up or down. I need to do this multiple times before it will start working. Once it starts it is fine. The other thing I can do is warm up the winch motor and it seem to run fine? The problem only seems to be when it is cold minus 5 or colder. Any help would be appreciated

2. Snowbear-Man

Snowbear-Man Inactive

Hi

There is probably moisture in your winch and it is freezing up in the cold--warm the winch before using and try to keep in your garage if possible leaving the plow out in the weather is hard on them
    Thanks

Emmerich

3. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

If its freezing up with moisture your not gonna get rid of the problem. Your better off to replace the winch. I had the same problem and tried everything.

4. toolman

toolman Junior Member

Mine does that , i just tap it "lightly" with a hammer and it seems to work ok, would be nice if we could keep them in a nice warm garage but we all aren,t able too, they should be built to withstand a little cold and moisture after all they are on snowplows right,lol

5. mulockdog

mulockdog Junior Member
    from ontario

warming it up with the heat gun seemed to fix the problem it is not near as bad as it was. As for replacing it it is just over a year old. Called snowbear and there were not interested in replacing it under warrenty even thou it had only been used 1 winter.

6. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

I took my SB winch off and into my local alternator rebuild shop. Two days later they told me they took my winch apart and cleaned it and that it was full of rusty and crud but other than that it was ok. $35 was my bill. It's a lot quieter now and works great!

I bought a cheap but weatherproof cover and leave it on as long as I'm not using the winch/plow. I suggest you do try the same approach.

Good Luck!
    J-Quad

7. Snowbear-Man

Snowbear-Man Inactive

That is great advice if you need to leave the plow outside you should take the winch off in the off season and store it inside it will double the life of you winch.

Thanks

Emmerich

8. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

where can i find an alternator shop
    my plows 4 yrs old and original snow bear winch i wanna have it checked iam in ct

9. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

alternator shop??

10. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Stop and think a minute -- now breath -- Ok, now it shouldn't be that difficult to locate such a shop:

1. Ask your auto mechanic who does that type of work in your area.

2. Call a few of your local auto parts stores....ask them who does that type of repairs.

3. Look in your local phone book yellow pages, under Automotive - Electrical Repair. These shops might also be listed as Starter rebuild, or Alternator repairs.

4. Call your local lawn or agriculture machinery dealer ( John Deere, Cub Cadet, etc.) they may also be able to point you in the direction of such an electrical repair shop.

Good Luck!
    J-Quad :drinkup:

11. mulockdog

mulockdog Junior Member
    from ontario

the truth

Ya the winch had all kinds of moisture and was corroded on the inside. I called superwinch and raised hell and the guy told me to look at it closer that it looked like a superwinch but it wasn t. Upon further investigation I found that snowbear quit using the superwinch and went with a cheaper unit from china, and they are absolute crap. The customer rep at snow bear informed me they had new owners and they were cutting costs and that they have had many complaints with this inferior product. Snowbear management would not even entertain talking about it. Just said it is out of warranty. (even though they have a note on file that I was complaining about having trouble before the warranty was up. So the solution is pay $250 bucks every 2 years for a piece of crap or ditch the snow bear and find a plow that a company will stand behind. Funny 2 weeks after i filed the complaint the lady who told me all this was let go? sounds like snowbear has a great future ahead! Any one know of a good replacement winch that can be adapted?

12. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

Mulockdog,
    Were they NOT able to get it working properly again for you?

If not, then I'd suggest you just step up to a Superwinch unit as a replacement unit, get a weatherproof cover and cover it immediately after you're done plowing -- not an hour later or the next morning - but immediately. The winch is warm after using it and any falling snow will land on it and melt then run inside the unit if not covered immediately.

Emmerich, "Snowbear-Man", will likely be able to fix you up with the better Superwinch unit.

Just my :popcorn: 2 cents,
    J-Quad