1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold weather liquid options

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I'm new to liquid apps and have become frustrated with the cold weather we are having here in Manitoba, Canada. The brine I make is 90/10 salt to calcium. It works until about -12'c (10'f), but lately our temps have reached -20c to -30c (-4'f to -22'f).

What can I add to make liquid an option in these extreme temps? And where can I purchase?

Thx

2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Ok I will watch this thread for the learning.
    And hello to the southerner.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I think there is a dow flake that can be added but I don't recall specifics. It has been posted before.

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are mixing 90% salt brine and 10% calcium chloride, simply add more calcium chloride. We have been having very cold temps and extremely dry snows also.

It Can take as much as 50% more liquid volume, although I think 25% more is a better description. At 70/30 in a very short time the chlorides will need to be agitated. I have been using my 90/10 at -17F but I added more cal chloride.

5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have repeated many times at +5F I change and spray straight calcium chloride. But this last cold weather event, -17F up to +5F I tried adding more calcium chloride to my 90/10 and I had full melts at -17F. Trying to make my 90/10 go further and it worked very well.

6. Gr8WhiteNorth

Where can I get bulk calcium chloride? We currently get it by the bag and it's pricey

7. Gr8WhiteNorth

And hi there up north chineau

8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Get with Tiger Calcium in Edmonton Alberta. They have a couple varieties of liquid calcium chloride that should do the job. www.tigercalcium.com Good folks too. I know they support Manitoba.