1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold starting trouble

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by inconnu, Dec 21, 2008.

1. inconnu

inconnu Junior Member

I dont post here much but i do read the post every of often.I have a 1981 Ford150 with 351W which has a carburetor which i believe is a Holley and it is a two barrel and i have put in new plugs,wires cleaned all the connections and soldered all the loose wiring.
    The truck wasnt starting when it was cold outside and even if it would start after cranking it for say 25-30 times it wont idle,took it to a mechanic and he said that electric choke is not working so he put in a manual one but since yesterday since it has gotten really cold in the morning truck wont start till i spary "Quick Start" in the carb and i have to leave the choke fully on all the time if i try to shut off the choke even after plowing for 2 hours it will stall right away and wont start till i spray "quick start in the carb.
    I know it is hard to explain the problem here but if anyone needs more details i am more than willing to give more details or if i have missed something please do let me know.
    The gas in the tank is almost full and i have put one quart of menthal hydrate and about 3 cans of water remover and carb cleaner in the tank.
    Thanks for your time.