1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cold snap no snow here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Acorn, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

we've been getting 5 deg F temps here with windchills of around -31 deg F

Too cold to snow

2. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Same here in southern new england... and it does not look like anything different in the near future... if the forcasters are right

Pete

3. snowflake

snowflake Member

burrrrrrr cold here to this morning 1 deg at 7:00 had a good snowfall over the weekend cold alll week is what the so callled weather people are sayin and more snow cummmin

4. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Same here too.
    Was -12 the other morning and down around 0 every night since.
    Highs for the days haven't even made it out of the teens.

Dan

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

We got it here too,just small 1/2-1 inch flurries every night,keeping the salt trucks busy :)

I was watching the news last night,I thought you guys just got dumped on again down there in the maritimes ?

6. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

our last dumping was Jan 5-6 with about 45 cm and drifting up to 5+ feet.

Just a dusting everyday since then.

7. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

cold days hot deals at mcdonalds! if the temp is below zero at noon your burger is free...i've been eating cheese burgers for 4 days for free now! there saying -25 degrees tonight, and thats not wind chill.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I didn't really catch the exact area that got hit down there,but they were saying they got dumped on again before they had finished cleaning up the last big storm.High winds and lots of drifting too.Looked pretty nasty on the TV.Maybe that was a little further north than you.

9. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

BRUNSWICK CONCRETE Member

NEWFOUNDLAND. They keep getting nailed.Looking at breaking their old record of 650cm of snowfall for the season.:eek:

10. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Was -29F without windchill this AM supposed to stay like that all week, is only 0 now at 2pm.

11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

It's cold here too. We've been getting 3-5" almost everyday since Jan 11. Can't complain.

12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It was pretty cold this morning, it was 2 degrees. This morning as I drove furthur north for about 15 miles, the temperature dropped to -9 degrees. It's supposed to be around -10 tomorrow morning and Thursday too. With the windy condition, the wind chill is expected to be around -20s. Sure it is cold, but it's Janurary. People forgot how cold January used to be. It has been a long time since we had a cold January.

I read the newspaper this noon and it said that average days of below zero temperature in Albany, NY is 10.5 days. That surpised me. I guess it has been really a long time than I actually thought!

Temperature is expected to be in 10s highs for this entire week.

13. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

It's no wonder the Newfies have such a good sence of humour. They have to have when they get so much snow. I was there (Corner Brook) once as a kid for a hockey tournament over Easter and you still couldn't see and buildings from the road because of the street snowbanks.

14. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

BRUNSWICK CONCRETE Member

Rowdy the Fishing Newfie stops by the Tavern on the wharf,for a shot of screetch!
    The bar keep asks rowdy"what ya been up ta b'y ?" "nothin' much,been at whan of there fancy puzzle jobber!" replies Rowdy.
    Rowdy pauses and leans back in the stool and says"jep,she was tougher than the bouat! Took me all last nite and a pint of screetch, but i done finished her b'y!" The bar keep replies with a puzzeled look on his face and says"B'y ,could have unloaded a bouat of cod faster- eh!" Rowdy replies sort a half cocked " well, it said from 2-4 years on the side of the box b'y!":drinkup:

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a question for all you guys up there when its really cold, and well anywhere for that matter.....

Do you guys have to do anything special to your trucks to keep them able to start and run etc when it gets this cold. Seems like my truck doenst like the cold starts when below 0°F Its a gasser w/o any type of block or battery warmers. new batteries, I have a dipstick heater, should i try that? Or would that give me little or no assistence? Thanks!

She just dont like to start up on them really cold days, once shes started she runs great, (shes not a morning person i guess, lol)

16. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Everything always starts. Always keep the batteries charged. The diesel MUCH prefers being plugged in 15 or below weather. The gas will start at everything I have been through here (-33) but it is obviously easier on the truck being plugged in.

At 20-30 below it is difficult to maintain engine heat on downhills, the temp gauge actually goes back to cold. With the plow I don't need the cold front on my diesel.

My Saturn would collect snow up from the air dam (12+ inches of snow on the road) and pack it against the radiator... Would cause the car to actually overheat if I didn't get out and clear the snow.

Proper oils... 5-30 is real important. I tried pouring 15-40 at 5 above and it looked like thick honey. Not good for the engine.

First house I rented in town would have ice on the interior of the windows. Left water in my washing machine and it froze once.

Bought a well insulated house and haven't had any problems.

17. noclevername

noclevername Member

synthetic oil...block heaters...fully charged batteries...additives in gas & diesel...winter fronts...Tim Horton's coffee...apple fritters...mmm...doughnuts... :)

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

noclevername

I'm just down the road from ya,in Maple actually. Where about's in Aurora are you ?

Gotta have my Tim Hortons otherwise I don't start in these temps :)

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Same here.

20. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Truck's usually start Ok, If needed i can put them in a heated garage.

Coldest I've ever been is when i went snowmobiling up at my camp in Speculator a couple of yours ago.

Air temp was 35 below one night(we still went riding)I don't even want to know what the windchill was at 80mph across the lake.

Dan