1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold Engine!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by J.R. Services, Nov 27, 2009.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

I have a 01 cummins 3500 which has always taken a good while to heat up, but always did eventually. Recently the air temp around here dropped down to 35-40 F. Now the temp gauge doesnt move unless you stomp on it, it then goes up a little and then right back down when you let off. I checked to see if the thermostat might be stuck but there didnt seem to be an excessive amount of water flowing into radiator when it was running. I left the truck run for 5-7min and coolant was lukewarm to the touch. Is this normal? Or is there a problem. Thanks

2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Sounds like a stuck open thermo stat to me.

3. Jack33

Jack33 Junior Member
    from NH

Sounds like either the thermostat is stuck open or your fan clutch is done. Can you easily spin the fan by hand when it is cold? Does the fan "roar" more than it use to? Within a few minutes of running, there should be a noticable difference in temps between the upper and lower radiator hoses. If not, the t-stat is open. It is also possible that your temp sender is failing. Do you have any heat?

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

X2 except your fan clutch shouldn't really be a part of the problem either way. If its toast and spins free it will warm up better, if its seized up, it will still run close to normal operating temp. My money says its the thermostat.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, you can take the fan off and throw it onto a work bench in the winter.

I use a 205 degree thermostat in the winter, off a Powerstroke. I lowered my CR. Less smoke and warmer in the winter. Sounds like you need a new T-Stat.

6. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

I'm going to try new tstat this weekend and see what happens. I'm not too familiar with these cummins but i assume that the tstat is located in the elbow that comes off of the manifold and into top of radiator. Thanks

7. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

You probably just need to let it warm up longer on cold morining my gauge doesn't leave dead bottom for at least 8min and you really shouldn't be stomping on it when it's not warmed up

8. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

These trucks will not warm up at an idle when the temp. gets into the 30's and lower. Plug it in and drive it (easy on it) to warm it up. In fact Cummins does not recommend idling more than 5min.

JR I would go with the thermostat.

9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

its more then likly your t stat. also its very bad to romp on it when cold it will bother it in the long run. also plug it in at night and dont leave it run for more then 10 minuets it will load up and run like azz!