1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold calls

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by tuney443, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

For those that take an occasional cold call for plowing/sanding as I sometimes do---get yourself a tape recorder to record on the phone what you just discussed with your future client.Make sure an estimated price for your services is mentioned.The reason I'm writing this is because today in small claims court I thought wrongly that my case was a slam dunk.Yeah,I lost.Since the judge told me I had nothing in writing,I did not proove my case,so he said.The lady called me almost a year ago to plow her drive,I got there and it was already done--she never called to cancel.I was pissed of course and asked for $20 for my time.She refused and that's when it got personal with me--principle of the thing.I billed her for my travel time,(now I'm charging my hourly fee},she never paid,I filed at small claims,a whole year later,this fat ass judge acts like I'm the bad guy.First time I ever lost in small claims.
  2. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Rule of thumb.... if it's not in writing don't waste your time. Also unless stated otherwise in your contract each party would be responsible for their own court/attorney costs. In your case it would cost me $75 to sue which wouldn't be worth the time.
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

A verbal contract does have merit,I have won cases in small claims before,especially when the defendant basically has just substantiated what I just told the judge.Yesterday,I believe I just got a ***** judge who probably hasn't gotten any in a while.