1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold Calling

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by mmplowing, Nov 13, 2007.

1. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

I know many of us cold call commercials all the time to pick up bids. Does anyone cold call residences? What are your thoughts on that? I was thinking it might be a more personal way of letting folks know that we can give them a free estimate on the phone if desired.
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i cold call comercial customers, but would never call people at home. I know I hate it when people call the house...
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

yeah dont call houses :eek:
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

hey go for it. what do you have to lose? no one calls house for plowing so you might even get a good (nicer than normal) reaction. if things go really wrong you can always add telemarketer to your resume.
    (just dont call my house okay)
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Too many people on the "do not call list".

Let me ask you this, Would you want someone calling your house to ask for business? If so, go for it. If not, don't.
  6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

If you are going to do it, do it in person. Door to door sales is making a comeback, even with big companies. I've had several marketing firms stop by to sell me a package of pizza hut coupons, fundraiser stuff, etc... some of these deals were great and I bought. I got a buy1get1 on 6" subway that lasts for a whole year -for $15. Anyhow, pick a neighborhood to saturate and give up a late afternoon on a weekend. The people are much less likely to "tell you where to go" if they see you in person as "the local plow guy". What is one afternnoon to make customers that will last for years?
  7. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Well what I ended up doing is this. We landed two jobs on one street and so I called the other folks on that street that were listed. I have to say (and it may be because I am a woman) that EVERYONE was very receptive and even thankful I was calling. We ended up getting 2 more accounts on that street for 15 minutes of calling. Did the same on a second street today and got another account. This is really helping to tighten up our route.
  8. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

The year I switched from per push plowing to seasonal contracts I wanted to find at least 25 new clients. What I did was go to Brother Francis ( the local shelter ) and hired two men and two ladies for a day. They were all clean cut and were married but due to bad luck found themselves in a bad situation. I paid each 12.50 an hr cash and then we went out to the higher end subdivisions in the area in two plow trucks. I parked one at each end of the street they worked then sent them door to door with a flyer and contracts with prices for the season. We were out for 6 hrs and I had the 25 contracts I wanted. Worked great for me. I think parking the trucks on the street so people could see them was a big help. If I ever need to do a rush again for contracts I would not hesitate to do it this way.
  9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Good Job.

Right on Jbowe -that is exactly what I was talking about. Your closing rate was off the charts, and you helped a few people earn a decent wage for a day -all while gving the prospect a personal touch.