1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold Calling ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

OK I searched for cold calls. Found some good stuff, but when doing this face to face what all do you guys take with you? Letter of Introduction? Business card? Proposal information, but as it was mentioned to me before visit the site at least 2 or 3 times before pricing. So I would not want to have that with me I would think. Or am I better off doing this by phone to see if they are even interested in a bid. Thanks in advance.

JP

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I only cold call on smaller lots like restaurants and retails... I check out the lot first, make out a proposal with separate prices for plowing salting and walks. Then go inside and talk to the manager, ask if I can give a bid, If OK then ask him(her) to sit down and discuss your bid.
    I never cold call on large lots or complexes. I always charge them by the hour anyway.

Also...never cold call when they are busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Lawnmedic. Yep I use to manage restaurants and know what you mean by busy times. But unfortunately the district manager always handled the bidding process for this.

Where abouts in sw Ohio? I have a brother in Reading and sister in Lockland.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I'm up near Hamilton...

I've found that the store manager has a lot of influence on the Dist Manager. Things like only giving the DM bids from people he likes, or,,,,, making sure any lower bids never make it to the DM :) :)