1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold Calling; How does it work for ya?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by merrimacmill, Sep 12, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm looking to get some commercial accounts other than our own lots. I've been tossing around the idea of cold calling. What do you guys think of this technique? I don't want to PO people with "sales call" styling. Has this technique worked for anyone before? Thanks for any input on this.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i have gotten all my work this way, skip the sales pitch and just ask if they are happy with there service if not give them a price if they are happy move on

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I get calls from different contracting companies all the time (window washers, masons, landscapers, electricans, a/c guys ALL THE TIME, etc) but they leave big long sales pitch messages that no one will want to listen to. SO this is what I'm trying to avoid. What do you say when you speak with them? Also, how do you get their number and know who to talk to?

4. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I send out anywhere between 50 and 100 post cards every year ( did thiis bout a week ago or so ) I pick only lots that I would like to do. I may only get 3 to 4 replies from these but these are the people that are interested.

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

might just depend on your area. like verizon has different phone books for different areas suburbs and such. i tryed the calling thing. never got a damm thing . when i call i just ask to speak with the person in charge of grounds and maintence. and like you said no pitch just ask happy or not. and take from there. i have wasted countless hours doing this.:cry::cry::cry:

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I did this (cold calling) years ago, it does work. I havn't had the time recently so I now do mailing (only because I can do at night, weekends, etc). I think that some accounts will require the leg work on the phone (large commerial, retail & industrial sites), basiclly if they have a more than say 100 empoyees chance are the right person is not getting your mailing. It depends on the accounts. I used to call, introduce myself, ask the receptionist who was in charge of the contract & if I could speak to them, short & sweet.
    I'm going to start having to do it again probably within next two seasons as I start to push growth,

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

ooooookay....................!!!!

Little lost are we llh11456??