1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold calling and door banging?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by schuitb, Nov 21, 2005.

1. schuitb

schuitb Member

Have any of you tried these methods for getting plowing contracts?? Do property managers and owners respond to this type of advertising? And have they dug your biz card out and call back months later after a no-show plower? This is my 2nd year plowing, and if thing go well again i plan on going after my own account this coming summer.

2. little pat

little pat Member

I got my business started by cold calling. I took notice of all the poor service that took place the previous year and went after those accounts. I went to about 300 places and got so much work I had to add about 8 trucks so far. Even if they don't call this year, some will call next and you just go from there.

3. schuitb

schuitb Member

What months of the year did you do your cold calling/?? August, September and then follow up on the promising leads again in Nov. to confirm the contract?

4. little pat

little pat Member

I've actually done it during the season as well as in August and September. If you see poor or no service at a location, stop in and talk to the owner or leave a calling card so the owner can get in touch with you. Also keep written notes about places you want to stop into during the off season. It's easier to write it down than trying to remember a few months later.

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i agree with pat. i just go into a buisness ask for the mamager, introduce myself and ask them if they are accepting bids for snow removal. if yes then great....if they say no then i leave my card.

6. schuitb

schuitb Member

Thanks all, :salute: I will do that..

7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

All they can do is say no!!! Bang away!!

8. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I have been plowing for a few years now and I still do door to door (business) or cold calling. It works fairly well. It all depends on the type of location and/or business that you go in to. There are a couple of things that i always do though when i go:
    1) Always quote the lot for plowing/salting/sidewalks for my own notes.
    2)Ask who the contact person is for plowing.
    3)Give and get a business card.
    4)Make a file for that business in the office for future mailing list.
    As years go by, you will build up a nice mailing list, and even if they didn't sign with you the 1st year, theres a 50/50 chance of getting them the next year and with a lot less time. All you have to do is mail a bid.
    That's just what i do. Feel free to comment. I'm always open to suggestions to0.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes it works, most times you walk away empty handed..:nod:

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: That about sums it up!!!

11. schuitb

schuitb Member

but the worst that will happen is that they will say no.. by the way, I got my first to contacts today!.. neighbour of mine asked me to be a back-up about a month ago. (Plow by the hour for someone else) And he sent too nice referrals to me today.. He has as much as he can do already he told me. So i inspected the restaraunt and office and but in my bid... Presto bango.. I got them all year! :D That was easier than cold calling!.. Thats only two, so i plan to take notes tommorrow morn will sloppy and late plows... Thanks again for the tips..

12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Ask your current customers for refferals. It's the strongest method we use and we start turning down work politely by Dec 1.