1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold blooded

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I guess I will back track first. A few months ago I flushed the cooling system out on the truck. Took all of the lines off, made sure they flowed good, etc. Did the best I could at getting all the old junk out which I did. Put new coolant in, went with universal instead of the dex cool. Still used prestone, said it works with dex cool systems. Took both heater core lines off and flushed them making sure the flow was real good, which it was. Didnt do anything with the thermo housing though.

Now this thing takes for ever and a day to get any kind of warm. I let it warm up before I go anywhere, and still takes a good 45 minutes to get halfway between 160 and 210 on the gauge. The air coming out of the vents is lukewarm at best. With the plow on though, warms up like normal and never gets over normal operating temp. Usually the temp will start to drop when I have a longer drive between jobs. I know these have a good cooling system, but I think this is a lil too good. The thermo is still stock, did not put a cooler one in for the tune. The head gaskets are fine, no water in oil or vice versa. Could any of the other do-dads I put on this thing make it run cooler?? I have the plugs dialed back to about 40 thousandths versus the 60 it calls for. Or did I F something up doing the cooling flush?? Possible thermostat sticking partially open?? Kinda sux driving a big refrigerator around, lol

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Thermostat is stuck open

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That is kinda what I am thinking too. But I have learned from the mighty B&B, ask questions before throwing a bunch of parts at it!!!

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

It's about $20 and 10 minutes of your time. Definitely worth and fits the symptons.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is there any damage that could be caused by it being stuck open? My truck sometimes takes about 15-20 mins to come up to 200* when it's really cold out- I always assumed this was normal? Wouldn't it be good for the truck to run cooler?

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Update: Got the thermo in. The old one was shot at best. The seals were basically non-existant in there. 30 bucks at napa, even came with a new housing. The engine heats up just like it used to. 100 times better and it runs happier. But I still have one issue. There is no heat coming into the cab. The fan works on all settings, it still changes from floor to defrost to dash vents, etc just fine. Got plenty of flow in the coolant department and the heater core lines are flowing freely. Is it possible there is an actuator or door not working right in the vent area not working properly?? Kinda blows chunks since it is snowing outside now too:dizzy: I have a thermometer inside the cab measuring cab air temps and it wasnt getting over 45 degrees in there. Gonna be a cold crappy night of plowing:gunsfiring:

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Got the heat going. Went ape shite and punched the dash numerous times. The voila!!! Nice warm air, lol. I like fixing things my way sometimeswesport

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:D lol wesport

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Priceless way to fix things lol lol lol:D

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Since when did you start fixing things the way i do sometimes?!?! LOL

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

If it doesn't get warm it will stay in closed loop (like having the choke on) you'll just get worse mileage

12. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Matt,
    my 02 warms up fast, amazingly fast. I wish my wifes car warmed up half as fast. I started my truck on a 5 below day, let it run 30 seconds and left. It was less then 10 minutes before I was up to full operating temp. Even ideling it warms up in under 15 minutes. The aluminum heads give instant heat

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I take it you have prior experience in this?? LOL

It can get very pricey at time though:D

Since I started wrenching on cars at 15, lol. And it seems like Chevys like getting smacked around to get them back in line!!

14. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

did you lose a pen, pencil, lighter down the vents? Bet you jarred something loose when you smacked her.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No, nothing has been dropped down these vents. Well unless half a cup of french vanilla cappuccino from a few years ago counts, lol Im sure something got shaken loose, I put a nice crack in the dash......ooopps!!!!!!

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Actually with steel heads you would have heat even faster. 02' what? Chev 6.0 and 8.1 have steel heads

17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The 99-01 LQ4 6.0 had the cast iron heads. 02 on up LQ4 and LQ9 6.0 had the 317 aluminum heads on them. Cant speak for the 8.1 though

18. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Ummm, its a 6.0 and I am 99% sure it has aluminum heads.

How do you figure steel heads will get you heat faster ? Alumium is a better conductor of heat, so it will transfer heat to the coolant faster. Aluminum has less mass then steel so it takes less energy then steel to heat them up.

Steel radiators would be much cheaper then aluminum ones (some are also copper) but steel is a poor heat transfer medium so the make them out of copper or aluminum to extract as much heat as possible from the coolant

19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

lmfao :laughing: sounds like something i do when i gert pissed but only on occation!

20. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Actually, several years ago a friend of mine spilled a full can of coke on my dash. I cleaned it as best as I could, but for the next three years I had stuff oozing out of my vents that was like molasses, but only when running the truck hard for long hours w/ the heater cranked. When it was cold, you couldn't even move the finger vents until it warmed up.

Sooo, If it smells like your baking cookies but you know that your not...Hmm, just gives me an idea of what I'm going to do on my manifold, next all nighter.