1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cold blooded Sportsman 600

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by UTAH, Nov 30, 2009.

1. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

I don't have heat where I store my 600 that I use for plowing. When I start it up it takes a really long time to warm up! Any tips or ideas? How long should it normally take to warm up?
  2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I can't talk for Polaris, I have a Honda. But I run synthetic oil in mine. I usually let it warm up for a few minutes and take off. As long as the oil is warm enough for the tranny to shift right I'm good to go.
  3. jryden145

jryden145 Member

You can run the atv with the choke on part way (have to be careful because the crankcase will fill with gas after while if you make it a habbit) or start it up and let it idle for 10-15 min. The carburator can be adjusted but it is kinda involved. (fixed settings from the factory, to meet epa standards)
  4. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

make sure you let it idle a while messed up my quad by not letting it once
  5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

well I will have to say most of the polaris I hae been on they are cold blooded I am not sure why. My buddy took his to a polaris dealer and they fixed the problem for him. I guess they jetted the carb and it helped.
  6. wls

wls Senior Member

I have a 04 600, I believe it had a recall to somewhat fix the problem. But mine is still cold blooded after having it done, not as bad though.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Do you have A/C power in the storage? If so, look for a small block heater. They make them so it doesn't have to be "in" coolant or oil. They actually work very good. I'll save you the trouble of trying to find them. Have a look. :)

8. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

That looks like it would work well, might be worth running power out there. I couldn't find any place on their website to order them or anything about pricing. What wattage would be the minimum?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 500 that is the same way.

And the idle is too low, won't ever stay running. Need to bring it back in and get it fixed, rather annoying.
  10. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

I used to do some work for a Yamaha shop. The grizzlies were very cold blooded and we would replace the main jet with the next size up. Cured both the cold start and the idle issues.
  11. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

My 03 sportsman 500 is like that also, I just let it warm up for about 5 min, it seems like a long time when your freezing you a** off but it needs to warm up.
  12. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

So, any thoughts on whether a 60 or 75 watt heated battery pad would work? Or should I go with 100 watts or better?
  13. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

If you are going to run power, look into getting a bettery tender jr. It has one set of ends that mount to the battery post with a plug on the other end. You can run that somewhere easy to get to. It keeps the battery fully charged with out over charging it.
  14. wls

wls Senior Member

They also have a heater, that hooks into your rad hose
  15. wls

wls Senior Member

16. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I bought 2 new 600's when they first came out. I loved them but they were COLD BLOODED. I mad adjustments to the carb and some tweaks to the air box, never really helped.
  17. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

Hey, that's cool. I bet that would probably work even better.
  18. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

So I think a glue on 25 watt pad heater is what would work best. Does anyone have any input on whether that would be enough to keep it warm?
  19. kelly67

kelly67 Junior Member

there is a service bulletin on this problem. polaris dealer wouldn't touch a friends machine till he brought in a copy of the bulletin. they still didnt wont to change jets put did.
    basically thats what they do is change the jets in the machine.
  20. m297

m297 Member

I have 2 800EFI Sportsman, they are used in northern michigan and they start without a problem even at -10. Must be the fuel injection....2006 and 2005.