1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cold air intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Jun 3, 2006.

1. i am going to pu a cold air intake on my 99 gmc 2500 wondering if anyone know what brand would be best and how much tor. and hp does it add.

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

You do realize that pretty much every car and truck made since the late 1970s DOES have "cold air intake" from the factory. That's the purpose for the hose or plastic duct that runs from the air cleaner snorkle (or air box in the case of EFI vehicles) to the radiator core support.

The aftermarket kits are pretty high on hype and low on measurable performance increases. The only real performance benefit (depending on the actual configuration of your stock air inlet system) is lower restriction on the inlet side. Factory systems tend to have tuned cavities and restrictions that are designed to reduce inlet noise. In addition, factory systems tend to use corregated plastic tubes. These tend to increase inlet restriction. An aftermarket kit with smoothly bent metal tubes should flow a little better. Since it will be louder, you'll FEEL like there's a performance boost, but short of back-to-back dragstrip or dyno testing, I remain skeptical. Also, if your aftermarket kit comes with a K&N or similar air filter, that will have lower restriction than stock, but at the cost of passing more particles that can cause premature ring wear. That's your call.

The bottom line is that newer vehicles are highly optimized from the factory. Fuel maps are calibrated for the stock setup. To take advantage of changes really requires a modified fuel map. There are no easy bolt-on parts that will cause a large HP boost (except, maybe, nitrous....)

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've found K&N replacement filters an excellent upgrade. Increases driveablity (not HP driveability) through decreased lean stumble and a little better low end response. K&N have equal or superior filtering, less restrictive airflow, and are cleanable. check them out. I've used them for years on racing carts, M/C, Cars, trucks you name it. Consider a matched exhaust and a power chip if you want true performance, however remember low end torque is the name of this game high end horse power don't mean squat.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you are using an K&N air filter make sure to cheek it often.
    The wire mesh on the inside of the filter will brake up from vibration (especially if you use them on a 2 stroke engine) and the small pieces of wire will be sucked into your engine.
    I have seen this happen more thane once. It is this reason I will never use there filter again.
    Does K&N still use the wire mesh on the inside of all of there filters? Or just on some?
    Just one more thing to keep your eye on:waving:
    But, good luck in your application.

5. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

OH no that this again at least problem child isn't here.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I had a buddy have this happen on his snowmobile, only time I've seen that particular issue.

8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks ... you saved me from heading down that road!!prsport