1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cold air intake

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow-Kid, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well this is my first post and wanted to ask you all a question.
    I have a 2001 ford f-250 with a 5.4 V8. I was thinking of getting a cold air intake for it. Will this give more horsepower or better gas mileage or both or none. Just kind of wondering. I also plow with it and heard that if it is really cold out side that it runs like crap. Any Truth to this? If i were to get one what brand would be best, or should i just get a k&n air filter and go that way.

This is a great site learned alot

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I used the K&N FIPK Gen II on my 01 Explorer worked fine. You won't see noticable HP gains or anything thing like that. You will feel a difference but with a K&N and free flow exhaust you will free up restrictions on your Truck. I just got a 2004 F-350 Super Duty and Plan to put a K&N FIPK Gen II on it. I Believe they help a bit with Gas Miliage. Don't Worry about through the winter, there are no problems. When I had the K&N on my Explorer it was -10 and It started and ran fine. Defintely get a system that surrounds the Cone Filter to get cooler air not hot engine air. Replacing a Stock filter with a K&N just like it wouldn't be a bad idea and won't cost much.
    My thoughts

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

it isnt gonna give you a big enough gain to really notice. unless you combine it by putting an exhaust on to. either way, its not gonna gain you much horsepower.

4. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Thanks for your reply I was just wondering what kind of gains I would get.
    That is what I kind of thought.

5. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I was also thinking about a exhaust. What kind would you recommend? I was looking at a Gibson or Flowmaster. I don't want any thing really loud do to residential plowing at night. Don't think they will appreciate that :rolleyes:

6. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i seem to remember reading a article about
    the great k&n filters seems they 're not as great
    as k&n wants you to beleive.....they may flow better but
    with more dirt than a paper filter......

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

For noticable power increases with the 5.4 liter V-8, compress the intake air.

I'll bet you could get a bolt on supercharger for that Ford. Everything right in the kit.

8. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Thanks for all of the replies. Proseasons what kind of supercharger would you recommend. Would that give me a little more power plowing snow on a long run and pushing snow stacks back. What would one of the cost?

9. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

Snowkid, have you plowed with the truck yet??

I'm just asking because I get a 04 F250 Crewcab in october with a 5.4 and its stock and pushes snow like a mother F. I run 200# of ballast for traction really, and an 8' western unimount. The last storm we got 13" plus and did a bunch of afterstorms callins and flagdowns that werent touched and ripped through them like butter, I cant get this truck stuck if I wanted to. A supercharger is gonna set you back 2000 plus installation, and will void a warranty if you have one. You wont really get anything out of a 5.4 in a 6000# truck, chips, exhaust, intakes may improve TOPS 10%
    Can you really tell the difference between two pairs of shoes that are identical and one is size 9 the other 10? I see guys pushing snow in S10s like hell, its in the driver and experience, not the truck. I pulled a rookie out in an 05 F350 with dealer plates on in that storm, stuck in a loading bay trying to back drag 12" all at once, could of done it in bits, or with blade not all the way down, drivers choice, but again experience. Your truck will push snow like hell my friend.........

10. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

demetrios007 i have been plowing with this truck for 2 years now with a 7'6 boss poly blade with pro-wings and it will plow any thing that i through at it.
    Even the Christmas storm when we got 14 inches of snow, it plowed like a dream. But I have problems getting the power to push back piles on long runs. I run about 800 pounds in the bed and when i plow i tend to get on it and use the truck. I had just heard that the cold air intake may give me more horsepower but now the more i hear from you all the less likely I will spend that kind of money on something that won't give me that much power.

11. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Snow-Kid
    I have a 1999 Super duty 5.4 and I got a Jet chip, K&N cold air system and a Power-dyne throttle body spacer ,off of ebay for 300.00 , and so far I have mixed feelings .
    I talked to the tech at Jet because I feel I have lost some bottom end , he said I now need a 3'' mandrel bent exhaust with a better muffler to get the fumes out , and to also run 91 octane gas , then I will get my bottom end back plus more on the top .
    It plows great stock my only problem with it is my Brother has a 02 Super with the V 10 and it Rocks , so I would like to get a little more out of my 5.4 plus it should help the mpg some.

I hope this helps I will let you know when I put on the bigger exhaust.

12. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Snow kid
    I have a K&N filter for the stock air system that helps some if you are interested ,where are you at in Ohio ?

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

K&N is a waste of money if your doing it for HP reasons. JMO also lets in more dirt. I ran identical times at the track with a stock airbox and an acdelco element and a stage 2 AFE intake with cotton cone filter, same day multipul runs back to back.

Exhaust is going to be the same deal, lota $$$ for very minimal gain.

Run your truck stock and be happy. Or throw exhaust on it for better sound :cool: but not for HP

Or dump some bucks for the power.

14. Rappa

Rappa Member

I am running an 02 Silverado 2500HD ext cab with a Westers PCM and Volant Cold Air Intake. The intake will give you better throttle response and combined with an exaust system, will allow the engine to breath better and supply more HP. Maybe 5-10 HP. But the best thing about the intake is that when you are plowing, your engine compartment could be as warm as 90+ degrees, as I have seen on my digital temp reading on my mirror. You can be assured, that the air you are running through your motor, is as fresh and cold as it can be. I notice no difference in the way my truck runs no matter how hot the engine compartment gets. I would say it was a good investment for 200 bucks.

15. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

K&N Filter

Don't spend the money on all the Fancy exhaust stuff. I bought My K&N filter at Murray's. The guy told me 10% improved fuel economy. Well, I didn't expect to get that and I was right...I did however calculate about a 5% increase.

Here's the math on my F350 V-10.
    26 gallon tank.
    Normal city driving = 8mpg
    Increased mileage .4 miles per gallon = 10.4 miles gained per tank of gas.

It might not sound like much of a gain, but that's a 5% savings on a tank of gas. at $2/gal = $2.60 saved per tank.

Cost of filter $50/2.6 = 19.2 tanks of gas to recover cost of filter. This doesn't include the fact that you never again have to buy a $25 paper filter.

So, after all this rubbish all I'm trying to say is: You won't get as good of fuel economy as they say. Your higher HP won't be noticeable, the truck will run as it normally does. But, you will save a decent chunk of money over the lifetime of your truck, compared to a normal filter....Even if you don't get better mileage, you'll pay for itself after a year (when you should have replaced your $25 filter twice).

16. ratlover

from IL

I have a cleanable filter that is sitting not being used after I saw the filtering #'s and the amount of dirt it let through compared to a ac delco. This was a very comprehensive study by a independent 3rd party BTW. K&N had the absolute worse numbers outa a ton of filters. Different paper, different cotton gauze, different oiled foam.

I still say screw the $ and run a wix or a delco(or motorcraft or what ever factory "brand" you have) paper and change it when your filter minder gets pulled in. Paper changed on that frequency will offer the best protection for your motor and still flow plenty of air. Dont change before the restriction gauge gets sucked in.

If I had access to a scanner I could show you the 0 difference in ET between stock paper, stock box with no filter, and high zoot bling bling $$$ stage 2 complete intake. This is on a modded motor also.

Or if you had a duramax i may be able to find my washable filter somewere :confused:

17. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Isn't the stock setup cold air? My 04 GMC draws air in to the air box though the fender. Isn't that cold air, it is not engine compartment air.

18. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Chevy guys check out www.my-chevytruck.com. They just did an intake, exhaust and computer upgrade giving the PCM a week to adjust to before running on dyno. The intake, AEM Brute Force gave them an increase of 16 hp an 12 lbs torque at the rear wheels. This is an open element type of system though with no box. The exhaust was pretty much worthless as was the hypertech programmer.

19. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well thanks for all of the input. I think i will just put in a replacement air filter from auto zone and leave it at that. I don't see the need to put in that kind of money of so little gains.

20. ratlover

from IL

JMO but stay away from fram. Also JMO but go to NAPA or somewere were they sell wicks and use them or buy a filter from the Ford man. Baldwin makes good stuff also as does some others......