1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coil

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by REAPER, Mar 18, 2008.

1. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Truck started to give me stuttering and hesitation problems when first starting and cold.

Knew off the bat it was ignition as it seemed to be missing a couple of cylinders.

Why oh why does Dodge put the coil where they do?

The coil was swelled because of catching all the crud.
    Last picture shows placement behind fan under/side of alternator.

old bottom.jpg

old top.jpg

front seperation.jpg

sidexside.jpg

placement.jpg

old bottom.jpg

old top.jpg

front seperation.jpg

sidexside.jpg

placement.jpg

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

4 words guaranteed part's sales.

3. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Kind of the "pot calling the kettle black" feeling going on here.. Look at the rest of the engine... i think the coil did its job under those severe conditions quite well.. Thats the rustiest engine i've seen in quite some time.. Although i understand the snow dust coming into the engine compartment really rots stuff out quickly..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

thats 3 words

5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I'm surprised that coil lasted as long as it did. After each and every snowfall, when we're getting ready to put the trucks away or fueling them up for the next event we wash under the hood and the outside at the car-wash. We'll run the truck thtough the manual wash if it has the plow on, or we'll pull the plows and run em through the automatic, then hit them with the manual.

A little Fluid Film on that coil will help protect it from rust also.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Most of that is salt dust. If that is the roughest you have seen in a while I don't know what to say. It ain't bad. I seen worse and better.

I wash the engine compartment to detail specs at end of season. I blow off the big chunks through the season and in spring do a complete wash down wax.

I will never spray FF like you hear some guys claim. For one I would not want the mess that would make and 2 I wouldn't want to clean up the mess that would make.

If you believe 50% of some guys claims of spraying 25% of what they have you may be 10% right.

Agreed. They could at least make a rubber boot to protect it.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What year is your dodge?

That's more than just salt dust.

I started to spray the coil on my 98 with FF and guess what, no mess and it still works.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1998, manufactured date of 1/98. I knew the guy that had it before me and it has plowed heavy since day one.

Just the coil I agree with and gave mine a quick shot of the FF spray. But I am not about to do the whole engine compartment.