1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

coil-rite air bags

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by winfield.acres, Mar 6, 2013.

1. winfield.acres

winfield.acres Junior Member

I put a western snow plow on my 09 F250. It sags the front end some. Want a level ride so I've looked at the Firestone Coil-Rite air bags that go inside the front springs. Anyone else ever used them? How good do they work?

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I have some air bags in my 08 f350 and they do help a little on the front sag. They really help on driving around with the plow on, really make like the plow is not even there.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Just curious where you routed the lines to.

4. unhcp

right out to the Front, I put a t connector in for easy fill up of both bags.

5. winfield.acres

thanks for the info. I went ahead and orderd them. Pretty cheap really. Do you run with any weight in the back to help with level and traction?

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to hijack but I'm curious about the air bags.....do they help limit the wear on the front end components such as ball joints, tie rods, etc?

7. unhcp

I use 600 lbs of ballast to level out the truck

8. winfield.acres

Yeah i thought about running some sand tubes back there. But to answer the question on wear and tear I really dont know.

To unhcp what type of plow do you run?

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Not really. The BJ's and tie rods get the weight regardless. What it will help is the spring fatigue and handling. I can't speak for the springs in question exactly but I've run air spring in trucks for years and have noticed less spring breakage and fatigue in the trucks that have them. No change in bearings, brakes, tires, etc.

10. unhcp

I run a 8.5 Fisher Extreme V,

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you!

12. winfield.acres

When you say ballast what is your definition of "ballast"

13. unhcp

I run sand bags behind the rear wheel wells