1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

coil question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by steve/maine, Jan 12, 2014.

1. steve/maine

steve/maine Junior Member
    from maine

Been having problems with MM2 HD when cold so I went through unit today and replaced motor, filter, fluid, 12 volt cable and removed coils and cartridges. My 40? coil and cartridge had lots of white corrosion between them. Made the cartridge shinny again and cleaned coil as well. My questions are how did this corrode and should there be something like a dielectric coating between the coil and cartridge to keep it clean? By the way, what does the magnetic field of the coil actually do to the cartridge?

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It opens and close the cartridge. Next time you have the cartridges out put the coil back on and put the nut to hold the coil to the cartridge. Take a good 9 volt rectangular battery and touch it to the coils, it doesn't matter what side is positive or negative. With the battery touching you can see the cartirdge move. Just a heads up there will be a little bit of fluid left so you might want to wear glasses be cause if you are trying to see it move it may shoot fluid in your eye.

3. steve/maine

steve/maine Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks, I figured it opened the valve but I didn't see and moving parts so wasn't sure how it worked. Any ideas on how to avoid corrosion between coil and cartridge?

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I don't have any ideas