1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

coil ground

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by the eggman, Dec 11, 2010.

1. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

How do the coils get there ground ?
    Is the bolt or from resting on the block ?
  2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Yes they get ground through the outer case on the coil when it comes in contact with the block.
  3. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

both are correct, there is a taped hole at the back of the block for ,I believe a 5/16-18 bolt for ground . Take that right to the ground of the battery,by single wire or a quick connect wire .
  4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Eggman, I think you were asking about the little stud that is part of the valve when you said "bolt". I believe that does carry ground path, as well as contact with the block, and perhaps better. In either case, the outer case of the coil is ground. The + wire is isolated where it enters the coil through the case by plastic. The case is grounded to the battery through the plow main ground as racer suggests.
  5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

The coil is an electromagnet. It gets power from the wire, ground from the outer case, when energized the
    " bolt/stud/valve/spool " becomes magnetic not grounded. If you remove the coil from the plow hold the coil with the outer shell on the ground post of the battery, touch the wire to the positive, hold a screwdriver through the center of the coil. when you energize the coil the screwdriver will get sucked fast to one innerside wall of the coil. if you ground the inside of the coil where it contacts the spool you get nothing.
  6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

geer hed, isn't the valve also a path to ground for the outer case via the brass nut on the valve stud? That's what I was trying to say. That would be in addition to the case simply touching the aluminum base. I think I would consider magnetism and ground/not ground as separate issues as opposed to something becoming "magnetic not grounded".