1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coil Ground? New Coil. Power but no magnetism.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by logguy, Nov 11, 2006.

1. logguy

logguy Junior Member

Please help I'm trying to resurrect "older" E47 lift system.

Problem: Plow raises and lowers fine, but plow is stuck left. (Snow pushes toward driver side.)

I tested the system and found power to the green wire at the harness, but no magnetism at the "C" coil. So I bought a new coil, but this didn't the solve problem. So here's the deal: "B" coil functions on "B" valve, but if I test "B" coil on the "C" valve stem, no magnetism. The "C" coil tested on "B" valve has magnetism. My conclusion is that the coil is not getting ground at the "C" position. So the question I have: Does anyone know where the coil/valve ground connection actually takes place??? Is it at the base of the coil or at the top of the stem?? Could this be a valve problem? (Valve is old and during all this switching around I broke the threaded stud off the "C" valve so it looks like I'm going to have to replace it anyway.) Any other ideas? We've already had a 2 foot snow storm here in Colorado and 3 hours spent shoveling the driveway was no fun at all!
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

give me a call 513-404-0869 will talk now
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Replace the c valve, should solve your problem
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Coils ground from outside case to pump both at base of coil and through stem. I always clean where nut contacts the coil, and have never had grounding problems.
  5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

One of the coils on my 47 unit acted up a couple weeks ago and I had to take it off and wire brush the base area of the coil and around the valve and then it worked fine. Use some dielectric grease after you clean up the rust, it'll keep it from rusting again. Just my two cents.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Just remember dielectric grease inhibits the conduction of electricity. It is an insulator.
  7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

The idea with the dielctric grease is to keep out corrosion from the area around the point of contact, a point of firm contact will squeeze out the grease from it, but the grease will remain around the point of contact keeping out water, salt, etc. and thereby preventing corrosion. I use it on almost all the electical conections I deal with that are a removable connection or in a ground to metal type of connection and have great success with it. Just a clairification on what I meant.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have seen problems from overuse of dielectric grease. I use spray white lithium grease to keep corrosion out of electrical connections.