1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coil A ???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by bones, Feb 10, 2007.

1. bones

bones Junior Member

I have a older meyers e-47 pump with a beat A coil (older type 3/8 hole) and i also have a newer e-47 with a good A coil (newer type 5/8 hole) So my question is will the newer coil work on the older pump? I swaped both out and it fits fine i just have not put power to it yet.
    Thanks for any info

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, you can swap the 3/8 and the newer 5/8 valve's without a problem as long (of course) as you swap the coil's too.

3. bones

bones Junior Member

Did that

I did that hooked it up the way the diagram show But all i get is a clicking at the solenoid.
    How do i use a jumper wire. Were do i run it from to??

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you swap the valve's too? Or just the coil? Like I mentioned, you have to keep the 3/8 and 5/8 coil's and valve's together. If you want to check the A valve to see if it's working,raise the blade a little and us a jumper wire from the battery to the A coil and see if the blade drop's.....but watch your feet!

5. bones

bones Junior Member

switched everything

i switched everything i am getting power all the way to the pump but the motor does nothing

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Oh, the motor wont run, Ok make sure you connection's are good including your ground cable's. If their all good you can use a set of jumper cable's and hot wire the pump directy off the battery, does the motor run? If not then something's wrong with the motor,either worn brushe's or it's rusted up.Not uncommon on an old E47.

7. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Check to make sure that the solenoid is grounded. Maybe make a jumper from solednoid to battery to make sure that it is grounded.

8. bones

bones Junior Member

Grounded??

How do i ground the solenoid? I hooked it up same as the diagram

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In your previous post you mentioned that your solenoid was "clicking" and you have power all the way out to the pump so I'd say your solenoid has sufficient ground or it wouldn't click. It still sound's like a motor problem.Did you try the jumper cable test like I mentioned? If it won't run even with the jumper cable's connected directly from the battery to the motor itself (including the ground cable) then their's definitly a motor problem.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  10. Whip

Whip Member

There appears to be a little confusion in this thread. Which "solenoid" is clicking-the one on the firewall which should not be if you are just worried about the "A" valve to lower the plow?
    Or the "A" valve itself which you really won't hear unless you are pretty much right at the pump. Nothing runs when using about the "A" valve. It is closed when not in use and only opens to allow the plow to lower.
    So is this your actual problem as per the title of the thread or are there more that you really haven't explained yet?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  11. bones

bones Junior Member

No the A coil is not whats clicking. The solenoid on the fire wall is. I kinda jumped from one subject to another. Last i posted was about getting power to the motor but it does not run. I put on another motor and does the same thing.In the morning i am going to clean the solenoid ( has a little rust on the back) and run a ground wire to the frame. And give it another shot.
    Sorry if i mislead you or got you confuseed. Thats the last thing i want to do when asking for help.Well i hope i get it working in the am. If not i am going to see if my western pump will mount on my meyers rack.

12. Whip

Whip Member

Ah, I gotcha now. Run the ground wire right to the battery. When you go to the frame, there is too great a chance of it to corrode or not have a good path of travel back to the battery to be reliable.
    Hurry-big snow a comin'...........allegedly.:)

13. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Every time my solenoid clicked it is either a bad ground or bad solenoid. Hopefully you fixed the problem with the ground. Let us know

14. bones

bones Junior Member

Nope still can't get it to work so i'm gonna post and ask where in south jersey area can i buy a new pump?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bones, when you had the motor off while you were replacing it, did you try and spin the shaft sticking out of the gear pump (the one on the pump,not on the motor)

16. bones

bones Junior Member

yes it was froze solid i opened it and cleaned it all out put it back together and still clicked and some smoke came out of the motor