1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cognito leveling on 08 d/a cc

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mow 4 u, Oct 10, 2009.

1. mow 4 u

mow 4 u Member

I have check the search function on this prob with no luck. I would to know of others opinion, but also ride quality. Basically when I purchased my 08 cc d-max truck the ride was great. Since putting on 9.2 poly v with wings, went with timbrens and about 1000 lbs. inthe back leveled out truck. Ride is very choppy when empty, what to restore factory ride but carry 11 foot plow, suggestions?????????

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In other words its choppy without the ballast or plow correct?

3. mow 4 u

mow 4 u Member

Correct, truck rides terrible when empty. Looking to remove timbrens to restore factory ride but support plow???????????

4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds like the only suspension difference is the timbrens. If so, the truck must be riding on them unloaded, otherwise you shouldn't really notice it when unloaded. I'd do a check and see if this is the case and if you can adjust them to ride just off the contact point instead of loaded.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have too much Timbren contact when the truck is empty, which isn't uncommon on a GM since they set too low stock.

Put 3-4 turns in the torsion bars. Not only with this level the truck a little (which should have been done before the plow was installed) but it also removes some of the truck weight from being unnecessarily supported by the Timbrens when it's empty. Which of course is why you're experiencing the poor ride quality.

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'm purchasing the COGNITO leveling kit for my '03 2500HD very soon, from what I've read researching this leveling kit, it is one of the bet for chevy's and keeps the nice stock ride.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The Cognito UCA kit is what GM should've done to begin with. That paired with their Idler/Pitman support kit is the best move you can make if you can afford to do so. The ride is unmatched.

8. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

I would also look into a set of Sulastic Shackles for the rear, a number of people swear by them.I did read they can be a rather........fun:realmad: install though on an 08LMM.

Also there is:GM's fix is to replace only the two rear BODY MOUNTS between the cab and chassis. It's usually NOT a warranty replacement and it's $200 (for parts only).Although some have had luck with dealers doing this under warranty.I have read more people having good luck with this more so than the sulastic shackles.

This is to help with Suspension Vibration Or Frame Beaming At 40-60 MPH that happens with these trucks.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never heard of this and I have 2 07.5s. I have the Cognito leveling kit on my one LMM and personally I would not put it on a work truck. Crank your tb's like Mike said and see if that helps.