1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coffee Shop Owners Driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AndyTblc, Oct 1, 2009.

1. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

So, I was in the local coffee shop today getting my hot chocolate, and 2 months ago, he asked me if I would go cut his lawn since he was gone for a week and his lawn was over grown and was to much for his push mower, and at the end, he asked if I wanted cash or a gift certificate to cover his bill, so I took the gift certificate, knowing it was cheaper for him, and knowing that I would have spended that much at the coffee shop gift card or not. I have just about used that up.
    SO today he asked me if I plowed driveways, and if I would be interested in doing his when he can't get to it. He is out the door at 5am and sometimes doesn't get home till 7pm. He likes to shovel, but sometimes doesn't have enough time or energy to do it. He asked if we would be able to work out a deal, and I told him of course. I told him $XX for the driveway would probly be the price.
    So, what would you guys do in terms of getting paid BASED ON THE FACT that you will be going to the coffee shop every morning after your plowing route. Gift Card or cash. Kind of like a exchange in services or a bartering type of deal. This would be the only driveway that would be like this, all the other drives will be cash.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell for ex. 300 cash or 600 gift card.

3. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Agreed. Either cash or double or slightly less-then-double for a gift certificate.
    Coffee and donuts is a huge profit company. Donuts cost maybe $.08 to make and a large coffee might cost him $.10.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I don't get coffee, I get the hot chocolate or a smoothie, but I can see where you are coming from about the double.

5. grandview

And at the season you'll burn through the gift card and spend twice as much there as he paid you so he makes out on the deal!

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Bartering for work never works out- someone always gets the short end of the deal. You do your work, charge what you need to charge, and pay for what you want to buy when you want to buy it. That way there's no hard feelings and everyone gets paid.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Agreed. If your going to barter... do standard retail for standard retail. That way you both get your standard mark-up.

8. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Hmm,, alright, I still have to talk to him about the payment details and all that stuff. Because really all what he pays me, and I spend at his business, he can just do an owners draw for what he spends on plowing on the profit of what I spend there.....hmmm Ideas are good. Because if I was doing his driveway last year, I would have a $345 gift card and that would take me for ever, and I could easily use that in cash for bills........ Alrighty, I have some ideas in my head now.

9. grandview

That's only 191 coffees for me. Enough for December plowing.

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Dont forget that if ya take the gift certificate put on a extra charge for a weight loss clinic!!!!!!!!!!

11. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

thats only 110 hot chocolates for me

I'll just park in the back of the coffee shop instead of on main street so I walk farther

12. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I barter with my mechanic, it works out nicely, he hates mowing, truck(s) need maintence works out nicely...

13. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I barter with my neighbor, he has only paid me to do his driveway 1 year, all the others were when I owed him, he fixed my truck, gave me this and that so I didn't have to buy it, and fixed my mower, my camper... I owe him a few hundred dollars just from this summer.
    They are saying that bartering is becoming more and more popular

14. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

id want the cash. you cant run your truck on donuts.

JR

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with the barter system as long as the deal is fair for both, agreed upon from the very beginning and kept track of.

The guy who performs my lawn care has the best setup lawn and snow removal equipment around ;)....and my landscaping always looks top notch.

16. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

This is true, BUT I got in there and get something almost every day, especially during the winter, he basically always has my hot chocolate waiting in the fridge........well you get the point.

So does my dentist office.....not my house, thats my moms department

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta say, this is the second time I've run across an argument like this and don't get it. The other was in Clap's pizza thread.

If you carry this 'argument' to it's conclusion, you are saying that every dime you make from plowing goes to the operations of the truck.

Do you need nourishment to operate that truck? Whether it be pizza or hot chocolate?

Isn' t this money that one would be spending (from the plowing income) anyways?

Signed,
    Confused in Miami

18. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

ha, do I nee nourishment..... Up at 2 or 3 o'clock and have to go to school afterwards, I'm gonna need some chocolate or caffeine. But, I'll have to talk to him. Because last year he had a guy do it a few times and he gave him a number of free lattes. So I'll have to talk to him and find out exactly what he wants. Along with 3 other people I talked to that want their drives done.......

19. grandview

Great your going to lose your 4 hot chocolates to some guy doing it for 2 !

20. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

No, the other guy ran a golf course, and they went into bankruptcy, he's out of the picture HAHA