1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

code 3

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by dirtmandan2, Oct 27, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I bought a new code 3 420 pse magnetic mount... with the clear lens and amber filters it looks cool. It has what he called the fast rotators. IT'S LOUD. anything I can do to quiet this down?

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

not really ... all rotator models are gonna have vibration noice ...... the only one i ever had that you didnt here a noise is the mini star bar .. the cheapest rotating light bar you can buy

3. dirtmandan2

I hope I get used to it. I'll put this light on my diesel, maybe the engine will drown it out somewhat...

4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

lube the gears up

5. dirtmandan2

ive noticed some of my other lights have some kind of lube on them it is kind of an off white color, what do I use?

6. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

the white grease you mentioned is most likely Lithium grease. that will work, or any thing that is thick enough to stick to the gears without slinging off.

7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

its the electric motors makin the noise not the plasitc gears ..

8. Chaos

Chaos Member

Option 1: Mount it on a Back Rack (those racks behind the window)

Maybe Option 2: Try finding some kind of insulation between the steel magnets and the top of the truck (soft rubber or foam maybe?) Obviously not too thick...

Option 3: Disassemble the unit and mount all components on rubber grommets

Orrr, you could just put the volume up on the radio :dizzy:

9. scitown

scitown Senior Member

My mx 7000 is LOUD. It is mounted with the gutter mounts. Just turn the radio up. In the daytime I will turn my radio down to make sure its still going if it is not reflecting off anything.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have the perfect solution to all your loud rotator noises everyone.

TURN UP THE RADIO!:D

Seriously you'll get used to the nosie and you wont even remember the light is on half the time.

11. dirtmandan2

I like the backrack idea. Theres actually a nice looking aluminum one with a * star * lightbar on top of it . looks pretty nic, the guy wants 250 obo for it, I would have bought it but it has blue filters in it and I dont know where to get amber for it.

12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Look at it this way... If you have the noise while it's running you atleast know it's working. If you flip the pwr switch and you don't hear the motor noise ... Guess What? It's not working! You'll get used to all the noise. You can always try alittle silicone spray down the shaft of the motor but not that much. It will evaporate with time as long as you don't go thru a dust bowl or mudding with your truck.

13. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have the code 3 light too on my f450 and decided to make a plate on the dump rack to mount it to hide the noise and it worked. when it was on the roof you did get used to it. they are a bright as heck light though.
    The only thing to watch out is the wire over times comes looe on the cigarette plug part if you have that and stops working.