1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Code 3 mounting options

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cti531, Oct 4, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

After all sorts of crazy ideas on hideaways, leds, strobes etc...I have decided to just get a Code 3 rotating mini lightbar.

My question is what mounting options/ideas are out there? I really hate the idea of having a cigarette lighter cord hanging all over the place. On the other hand I don't really want to keep the light on my truck year round either.

Is this a "one or the other" decision I need to make or is there something out there that could solve my problem? Maybe a hard wired light with a cap that could fit over when the light is removed...or a removable rack for the truck box?

Just throwing stuff out there and since I don't know much about this was hoping people smarter than myself might have some ideas for me or have maybe seen something that could solve this issue.

Thanks guys!
  2. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

You can get a magnetic light and cut the cigarette lighter plug off and use quick connects to connect to truckside wires. What kind of truck do you have? If you have wiring and a switch from the factory it makes it much easier. If you are interested, I have an Amber Code 3 Mini Rotator with a clear housing that I used for one winter that I am looking to sell. PM me if you want details on it.
  3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

My headache rack build shows a plate I made that takes the place of my light bar.
    See link in my signature.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I have one of my trucks set up for a magnet mount lightbar. I put a switch on the dash, and ran the wiring to the 3rd brake light. I used a 2-pin plug I found at the auto parts store, drilled a small hole in the 3rd brake light, run the wires connected to the plug through it, then silicone'd it up. All you see is the plug hanging out, works great. When you put the light bar on, you just plug it in, no extra wires slammed in the door, no tied up cig outlets, etc.
  5. cti531

cti531 Member

I have a 2006 Chevy 2500hd...

Those are a couple good ideas!

wizardsr...any chance you have any close up photos of this?