1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Code 3 Light Problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Jaysled, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

I have this Code 3 Mini light bar http://www.code3pse.com/products/product_info/Warn/Mini_Bars/H_420RTR when I have been using it lately the cigarette lighter connector has been getting extremely hot. It will heat up like this only having it on for 3 minutes or so. What do you think could be causing it? This is my third season with the light and I purchased it new.

Thanks,

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

In all honesty, I have no experience with electrical anything. After reading threads on here however, I have seen others with problems like this. People had said to check the entire wire for wear and to make sure that the wire isnt exposed.

3. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

It's getting hot because it's pulling to many amps. Time to hard wire it.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would hardwire it. Hook it up to a switch with a relay. You can put a quick disconnect on the wires so you can leave the wiring on the truck year around and just take the light off when you don't need it.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would hardwire it. Hook it up to a switch with a relay. You can put a quick disconnect on the wires so you can leave the wiring on the truck year around and just take the light off when you don't need it.

6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Look at it this way. You're drawing 110 watts through a lighter plug. (That's assuming that the rotator motors don't draw anything.) That's a lot for a lighter plug and it's going to get hot. Add some more resistance for some oxidation on both the lighter socket and plug, and you get some serious heat. We hard wire all of our mini bars.

7. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

You can hard wire it so that you can take it off the truck when you don't need it in the summer or if you are parking the truck for an extended amount of time and are worried about it being stolen. Here is what I did with my Whelen mini bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

Thanks guys for the reply, could someone draw up a quick diagram on how to hard wire it with the relay and switch. Also were would I tap into for power? I do not have any up fitter switches in my truck. Any help would be great.

One thing I have noticed is that the motors on the light seem to be a lot slower when I first got the unit, they were the high speed up graded motors. What if I went to a LED light mini bar would that change the amp draw?

Thanks Guys!

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The rotators are running slower due to the increased resistance. (Or the increased resistance is slowing down the rotators.) Either way, halogen rotators are the highest amperage draw type of light out there. Strobes draw less and LEDs draw significantly less. The bright side there is that strobes and LEDs generally do not require a relay in the circuit. You can also use smaller diameter wire with strobes and particularly with LEDs.

BTW, amperage draw is pretty much inversely proportional to price. LEds draw the least, except they cost the most.

10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 4 way splitter for my truck, 3 of them are used for my lights. 1 goes to my Axixtech Falcon Mini Lightbar, and 2 go to my two Mini Phantom MAX dash/deck lights I put in my back window. Never had a problem with them over heating with them all on.

Add in the 4th plug in the splitter to my GPS or phone charger and still no problems.

11. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i had the same problem with the code 3 420. first year it worked perfect, second year it started heating up and blowing the fuse. so i chopped it and hard wired it with a quick connect. $2 or so at autozone. problem solved