1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Coating" the blade

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by danno, Oct 6, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

Has anybody tried applying a "plastic" coat to a clean painted blade ? Like what is used on wheels. It can be used on painted surfaces, and might keep the paint lasting longer without getting scratched.

2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I apply some silicone based stuff that I get at an ATV shop. It's good for about 2 or 3 storms and then I apply it again.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

I was thinking more along the lines of a 'permanent" coating. You would use a hardener with it.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i think he means something that is painted or sprayed on. like a teflon surface. i have tried waxing my plow, and it did seem to help but i am not sure how much. sure felt stupid putting 3 layers of way on my plow though. :)

6. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

get a piece of Polly it works great.

7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have had good luck coating my plow with pam (yes the cooking spray) it seems to work well and usually last A storm. and cheap.

8. danno

danno Senior Member

I was looking for more of a permant coating

9. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

check the commerical forum i just got my
    free sample of a new product

10. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

Try painting it with the stuff farmers use for there gravity wagons etc. Its called slip-coat. The stuff works great and stays on for a couple seasons.
    The draw back is it only comes in an ugly grey color. If you decide to use it put 2-3 coats on, it looks and acts like teflon.