1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coating steel blades.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you coat you blades with anything to help rolling and less sticking?
    Is so what do you use?
    There are so many "non-stick" things out there, I'd like to use something but dunno what.

Also is there anything you would avoid using?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would try vegatable oil, or a cooking spray. It will probably wear off in a few hours but it may help.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have heard of WD40 which would be even more $$$. Like Plowking says it would probably wear off. I have never really used anything just lived with it.
  4. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I agree with Dino..... cooking spray. You also might want to try marvel mystery oil in a small handhelp sprayer. We use this stuff in everything from fuel (gas and diesel), oil, plows and spreaders.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Three coats of Simoniz car wax.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I tried cooking spray, for me it seemed to make the sticking worse.

What I now do, is coat the blade with used motor oil applied with a rag, if theres no oil left handy I'll spray the blade with silicone spray that I use for the blowers (more $$$ tho).
  7. diginahole

diginahole Member

Spray wax at the local coin-op car wash. 2 bucks rinse and wax the whole truck after each storm.
  8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

This year if we get any snow I was going to try Armorall on the blade.

Last year I did the cooking spray (Pam), wax,(spray, rub on, & car wash) & wd40. They all worked for a short time but didn't last. A good size bottle of Armorall pump spray is around 5-6 bucks and easy to re apply. The pressurised cans don't work in the cold. If we should get any snow this year I'll let you know how it worked.

Losing faith in mother nature!!

9. Lou

Lou Member

I have a poly blade. Went the oil, wax, silicone way in the past. Even poly blades will lose their slickiness. Found out that Armour all works best. and can be re-applied as the season wears on.

Tried it out after reading what kayackers use on their polyethyline

Before the season starts, I spray on several coats, about 2 days apart.

When the season begins, I re-apply as necessary. So far, only to the cutting blade, which is metal. Has worked very well for me.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2002
  10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have used WD-40 & motor oil. The motor oil was cheapest & quickest and they both seemed to be equally effective. I have also installed the plastic "plow shields" available from the online parts suppliers (about $50.00) & that worked great.
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My freshly painted plows had not snow sticking to them today. Saw lots of guys driving with half a driveway stuck to their plow.
  12. captjack

captjack Member

teflon boat wax three coats , a week apart in application
    stiff stays on a long time.
  13. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Commercial JET Airplane Wax

has worked the best for me. Got connections at the airport.;)
  14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I expected a lot of diffrent answers. Not sure what one I'll try. I also realized that fresh snow sticks and old snow dosnt.
    Dont really have much of a problem yet as my plow is still new only pushed 7ft total.:) A couple guys asked me if I used anything becasue not much was stuck to the blade, while thay had 1ft hanging off the thing.

thanks guys and keep em comming.