1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

coating for dump body & spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by deluxeco, Dec 29, 2002.

1. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I'm taking delivery of a brand new dumptruck with a new Flink under tailgate spreader,I had been considering having a rhino type lining sprayed onto these surfaces to protect them from corosion.Our local service department buys a rhino type coating that can be self applicated from NAPA & they claim great results.Any info to help preserve this new equipment would be appreciated!

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I have a dump insert in my F-350 ... unfortunately, I didn't line it the first year I had it and I had started to get rusting from having the spreader in it over the winter.
    The next year, I sanded the whole thing down as best I could and had it sprayed with Line-X, similar to Rhino ... since then I can say it was one of the best investments I have made and would never have a dump that wasn't spray lined again.
    The only thing you have to watch is what kind of debris you put in it ... for example, construction debris or anything that is sharp or that could tear, scratch or rip the liner would not be advised. I only do grass, leaves, mulch and topsoil, I refuse any job that would entail me having to haul the above mentioned material.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If one were to haul sharp materials, is it possible to spot spray the Rhino\other brand Linings onto any scratched or damaged areas? Maybe check it each fall before salting season & repair as necessary? Just a thought.

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

Honestly, I think the set-up process for spraying the liner is a bit entailed for just spot spraying, but I have purchased a few cans of "Dura-liner" from PepBoys and AutoBarn, which is a di-it-yourself application similar to Line-X and Rhino, but is a Cold application as opposed to the hot spray of the professional installation. This can be used for touch-ups, but I would not recommend it for large areas due to the fact that it winds up a lot thinner on final thinkness, unless you buy several cans or the gallon size and use compressor air paint gun.

5. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

The dump body i'm thinking of doing is a 10' 7+ yard body on a IH 4600,I wonder what they'd get for that. I will be hauling alot of wash gravel,driveway stone & river stone. I wonder if it will hold up? What about the spreader itself treat it too?My delima is that i'm going to have to keep a couple ton of salt in it at all times<tarped & indoors....Thanks guys....

6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I am just guessing, but that will probably cost about $1200 to have it prepped and sprayed. As the the sander ... if it is going to cost you $500-$600 to Rhino the sander, just go get a Stainless Steel one for anywhere from $100-$1500 more and you won't have to worry about it except for the chain, gears and spinner.

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You could also use the sealers made for these salting applications. I think the one brand is Lubraseal? and there are others. Its kinda messy to work with & looks nasty, but it works I think from what people have posted here? They have been discussed here before so maybe try a search. I used to have a sub that told me he rolled on rustoleum to his dump beds once a year & swore by it. Those beds were used for all kinds of materials & V-boxes in the winter. The dump bodies were actually in great shape after years of abuse, not like many other simllar beds I've seen, used & owned over the years.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

They do make inserts or some type of liner for larger dumps. Not sure but found it on Yahoo search engine a year or so ago. Do a search for dump body liners.

9. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Well guys I talked to my equipment shop & was able to change my order to a stainless spreader.As far as the dump body goes i do DA sand with 80 grit paper my existing dumpbodies on my one tons & then roll on rustoleum. It does work great,although these
    trucks are only loaded with salt bags on palets & washed thouroughly after each time out. My concern is leaving bulk salt sitting in the bed.

10. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Deluxco,

I too had/have the same concerns regarding rusting out a truck bed leaving salt sitting it between storms. I inquired about using the rhino lining and the problem wasnt with the salt in the winter but with how you would be using it in the summer. Heavy, sharp loads such as boulders or stone could crack or chip the coating and its not really repaireable after the damage. Still using bagged salt although the last storm I did run bulk which was great but I used it all up on the one storm.

Best of luck

CMerrick

11. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

For what it's worth:

Before purchasing my spreader about a month ago, I had the bed of my pick-up coated with Line-x.

I got a written guarantee, which in my opinion was better than Rhino Liner, while I was there, a man came in with a pick up truck that he loaded a pallet in the bed with a nail sticking out which cut the surface of his bed previously treated with Line-x.

The owner told him to pull in it would only take about 5 minutes to repair, and there would be no charge! That sold me more than ever on Line-X.

Rick