1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CO Guys.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Dec 30, 2006.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I was wondering, how many trannys did everyone go through these past few weeks with all that snow you guys got.

I cant even imagine all the trucks broken down.

2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

A professional does not abuse his equipment.

Properly used and maintained equipment will live up to it's capabilities. The most capable equipment will fail in the hands of an inexperienced or incapable user.

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

very true, but i figured alot of you guys have 3+ trucks, and we all know how employees can be on equipment that they dont own.

4. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

In ten years of plowing with three trucks one motor and three clutches. two standards and one automatic
    prsport

5. Rampart Ranger

You are correct.

My only point of reference is the CDOT shed I used to run. In a typical storm we would have 8 hrs to prep equipment. Over the course of the typical 2 day storm & cleanup we would lose 2 of 7 trucks for 1 hr to 1 day (depending on damage, 1 full time mechanic for 5 patrols or about 30 trucks).

During a big blow like this last one, that would triple - with some trucks so seriously damaged as to be down for weeks. Most of the breakdowns were not trans or clutch, but electrical or minor mechanical. Lots of plow and plow frame repairs.

The manual trans 10 or 13 speeds are amazingly tough, but not indestructable. It was not the load as much as the operator error. All the mechanics are pushing for autos, and I do not disagree.

Hard to get good help.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

State of Maine D.O.T is going....

The State of Maine D.O.T is running into hard to get any help issue....They are buying automatics in their new Internationals.They are even testing a under cdl patrol truck and wing setup.....They wont put Jake brakes,engine retarders,brake savers whatever you want to call them into the trucks because they are afraid their operators wont turn them off in the snow and ice and they will end up causing more issues than they help.lol I said that is just stupid and the instructor said so are many of our operators.lol

7. Rampart Ranger

For some reason the Patrol leaders can't get it into the heads of Personnel Dept that there's a BIG difference between a CDL licensed driver and a skilled operator.

Of course the Supervisors just told us we weren't training the new hires adequately, neglecting the fact that 99% of the new hires did not meet minimum requirements to even fill out the application in the first place.

Dang, it's good to be retired. God help my replacement.

8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I hear you.....

I left during my probation,after working on my own for 13 years running my company,plowing,paving etc.. It was frustrating to work for Maine D.O.T .I was actually reminded that we where a maintenance camp and not a construction crew.Our roads are falling apart and they are skimming the wheel ruts.....Instead of installing cross pipes we try to make water run uphill in our drainage projects.These are the same managers saying it is OK for a six wheel patrol truck to have a 52 mile loop one pass.
    It all leads to the top and they just don't have a clue.Book smart maybe, but ever out in the field or behind the wheel I doubt it!!!

9. Rampart Ranger

It's a multifaceted problem.

CDOT Supervisors up to the politically appointed level are promoted from within, so most have had many years of experience on the road. The appointed levels are generally civil engineers. The problem on this end is that the budget is controlled by the legislature so the organization is always required to do more with less, regardless of the actual needs of maintenance. There has not been a new position created on the road for over a decade (hiring freeze, only vacant positions may be filled), in spite of the fact that lane miles have dramatically increased in that same time period.

Much of the experienced workforce has retired or resigned in the last few years, and this is likely to continue. There is still great opportunity with CDOT for the individual who can display reasonable skills and put up with the politics and bureaucracy.

10. Rampart Ranger

Equipment Damage

Just got word from my son, CDOT Patrol leader.

My old Patrol - 7 plow trucks - 4 single axle, 3 tandems (2 with wings)... ALL down with damage, mostly plow & frame. CAT grader with bull plow & wing good to go, working out east to clear 15 ft drifts. Tandem tractor and 40 ft tanker good to go.

Patrol 26 (covers Hwy that runs near our prvate drive) 2 midranges, 1 tandem, FWD blower. 1 midrange 1 tandem damaged, my old FWD with SnoGo blower down with clutch & hydraulics. They were running four 3 CuYrd loaders up the canyon today to push back - made 2 miles - only 8 to go. The CAT with a proper operator could do it in 1 day. FWD blower in 2, but without windrows.

Hey, my 1.5 mile drive is good to go, but my ABS system quit.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  11. mojob

mojob Member

What precautions can you take to make sure you don't damage your automatic trans? Do's and Don'ts.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

come to a full and complete stop before shifting. get a temp guage, you may need to add an auxiliary trans cooler.

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

cdl driver for dot or one of my drivers they need to know what theyre doing if they cant remember to turn a jake off then whats to say they dont even know how to drive and they shouldnt be plowing so i think maine is making a big mistake catering to the unqualified drivers in the long run

14. doh

doh Senior Member

After 16 years in the commercial snow business, I have put 1 transmission in my traucks,While my wife was driving it down the freeway @ 16000 km's

But I did put 1 truck on the bottom of the lake after 10 years of being the first truck on the ice, so I can see how _ _ _ _ happens

15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

:eek:

going to need a story here.
    I bet alcohol was involved. :drinkup:

16. In all the plowing I did on the three storms I broke a u-joint on the front of the front drive shaft, a power steering belt and 1 tire chain. other than that it went well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And if you aren't moving but you're still giving her gas, DON'T, because you're going to burn it up.